Chapter 19

Beautiful banner by @Rathanak ^^! Enjoy!

Chapter 19

Breakfast was eaten in silence. Grace and I didn't talk about this morning events and Matt was too tired to even sit up straight.

I knew he was dreading the day ahead of him. He wanted to skip school today more than anything but I convinced him out of it. Skipping one day of school wouldn't change anything for him and would probably only make things worse. I only wished that I was able to go with him today but I couldn't. The teachers would probably just send me back or worse, call my mom.

"I'll see you guys later." Matt mumbled, picking his bag off the floor and heading for the garage.

I opened my mouth to say something, anything really, but decided against it. What was I suppose to say? Good luck? Have fun? Try not to kill somebody? My words would have meant nothing to him. The best I could hope for was that Peter would hold him back if the time came.

I heard the sound of my dad's car drive away, then the sound of the garage closing. I had a bad feeling in my chest and I could only pray that Matt didn't feel it too.

"Did you know?" Grace suddenly spoke as she cleared the dishes. I had offered to help her watch but she just shook her head.

"Know about...?" I trailed off.

Grace glanced over at me, "About Matt?"

I hesitated. "..Yes." I admitted reluctantly. I didn't know what Grace would think if she knew I had lied to Holly all this time.

"Why didn't you tell Holly?" She questioned.

"I wanted to," I defended, or tried to anyways, "But Matt was feeling guilty either way, and Holly seemed so happy, I didn't want to ruin it..." I stopped talking, realizing just how lame my excuse sounded.

Grace looked back at me raising her eyebrow.

I swallowed hard. "I couldn't bring myself to do it." I admitted, feeling the truth of my words settle in my stomach. "I couldn't betray Matt like that."

"But you'd betray Holly?" Grace asked. Her words would have angered me if they were accusing me but they weren't. Instead, she sounded genuinely curious.

"I figured she never would have found out." I replied, my voice lowering in shame. It was the truth, I never wanted Holly to know both for Matt's sake, and mine.

Grace nodded her head, not looking bothered by my words. "The truth always comes out." She mumbled, more to herself than me.

I frowned at her words. "Is that what you believe?" I had to ask.

Grace nodded, not turning her head to look at me.

"Then why do you lie?" I inquired.

Grace paused while she was doing the dishes. She turned her head to look at me, her face a blank mask. "I never lie."

I clicked my tongue. "That was a lie."

Grace didn't reply. She turned her head and went back to doing the dishes.

I stayed quiet, not wanting to push the subject. Even though Grace and I have been growing closer, we were still on thin ice. Any tiny mistake could break that ice and ruin everything.

When Grace finished the dishes, she turned around to face me.

"Why do you sell?" I blurted out. I felt my eyes widen with my words. I hadn't meant to say that, and now I felt like I ruined everything.