Chapter 21

Chapter 21

By the time Ben took me home I was still in a daze. I couldn't believe that I had just seen Grace's dad for the first time in five years. I didn't even remember how we lost contact, we just did. One day he was at my house eating barbeque and the next he was gone. Then again, it could have been my memory loss that had me forget.

Ben drove off when he was positive I wouldn't try to sneak out again. Honestly, I didn't think I had any energy left to go anywhere. Seeing Edmund Belle did something to me and it was making my head pound furiously.

I opened the front door using the spare key that was hidden in one of my mom's plants and walked in, completely dismissing the fact that I had snuck out last night. I was in too much shock to even realize my surroundings; so when Matt abruptly stood from the couch with a unbelievable expression, I regretted not sneaking back in.

"Jackson?!" He exclaimed, whipping his head towards the staircase and me back and forth. "What the hell?"

I grinned sheepishly, "Oops." I shrugged lazily.

"Oops?" Matt mocked. "Oops is all you can say? I thought you were upstairs? Sleeping! Where have you been this whole time?!"

"Why aren't you at school." I asked without really caring. Barely half my mind was even on this conversation. I couldn't feel my own body, as though someone else was controlling it.

I saw Matt grimace. "I thought I'd take the day off." He shuddered slightly, "Anyways, what are you doing? Where were you?"

Not in the mood to come up with a lie, I shrugged, slipping off my hoodie and throwing it on the stairs. "At the hospital."

Matt did a double take, looking as though eyes his would pop out of their sockets. "Hospital? Why? Was it your concussion? Is it back?" His concern etched into each word.

I knew in the back of my mind that I should have just gone along with his words to save the trouble. But when my mind flashed back to Mr. Belle, I didn't have the energy to care.

"I went to see Savannah." I replied absentmindedly, walking over and taking a seat on the couch.

Matt sighed in annoyance, running his hands roughly through his hair. "I should have known." He grumbled.

I nodded, leaning back to get more comfortable. "You should have." My voice barely sounded alive.

Matt stayed silent after that. I could feel his penetrating stare on my face, but I didn't have the will or energy to look at him or even care. Seeing Grace's dad like that, it did something to me; both physically and mentally. I didn't know what it was, but I just felt deflated. I felt, that I really knew nothing about Grace.

"Jackson." Matt called out.

I groaned, putting my hands in my head. Matt's voice caused my eyes to sting and my temples to pound. I knew what the cause was but I hated it. Grace's dads face continued to appear in my mind no matter how many times I constantly tried to push it back. No matter what, his image was engraved into my brain and I knew that even with a concussion it wasn't going to go away any time soon.

"J-Jackson, what's going on." Matt alarmed voice echoed in my head. I felt the couch dip from beside me which only made me dizzy.

I shook my head, squeezing my eyes to stop the aching in my head. "Grab me my prescription will you." I pinched the bridge of my nose.

I heard Matt curse before quickly going into the kitchen. I cracked my eye open slightly only to see the world spinning. I closed them back up, taking deep even breathes to calm myself. I knew freaking out would only make my head hurt more. I never took doctor Spencer words seriously, so I barely took the pills when I should have.