79. And Life Goes On*

A full cycle of seasons brought hard-won restoration and the brith of a new tradition to Lyewryn. In honor of the day Celestine was defeated an annual celebration was born to bring together all kingdoms and races in a way they'd never come together before. It was to be a time of great merriment. Carpenters worked to build wooden stalls and the weavers shrouded them in vibrant cloth to form countless tented venues. Soon they would be filled with goods to sell, games to entertain both child and elder, and countless other amusements decided by the festival planners.

Yet the promise of what was meant to be a joyous event could not draw Elery's attention from the slip of paper held in her hands. The words, filled with venom, tainted whatever good humour she might have found in the day.

Enjoy your kingdom while it stands, Dragon Whore. I'll not forget Ildaugh. You'd best not, either.

The door creaked open and she crumpled the note in her fist. Cylphi stood in the doorway with a sullen expression. Though most were excited for the festivities to come, the same could not be said for Cylphi. Though she kept up appearances, maintaining a joyous air about her as she interacted with the excited citizens, Elery saw the truth when they were alone.

The festival was a painful reminder of the ordeal she'd been put through. It was, to her, a celebration of her own death.

Elery stood from her seat at the edge of her bed opened her arms. Cylphi mustered a weary smile. She walked over and accepted the embrace to rest her head on Elery's shoulder.

"Will you be all right?" Elery asked.

"This is for them. I wouldn't take this away from them simply for my own discomfort." She pulled away and walked to the window to peer down. "It's hard to believe so much time has passed. Even harder to believe that the alliance has held strong."

"I think we've all learned what happens when we stand against each other." She joined her at the window. "Gaidel sent word that Vydel should be here soon. Nyph has already arrived, and I believe Dakkan is near. Last I heard he and his clan were chasing mystmetal in the east."

Cylphi tilted her head and peered into her eyes. "You are troubled, and I doubt it has only to do with my state of mind. Is this to do with the message you received this morning?"

Elery brushed her hair back away from her face. Her fingertips brushed over the broken horn, long-since ground smooth and healed over. She opened her other hand to reveal the note. "It seems Vydel has met one man she cannot easily kill."

Cylphi opened the note and her features pinched. "Have you brought this to the council's attention?"

She shook her head. "Only yours. And I trust you to keep this from the others until I might decide my best course. This runic business has already created an unstable political mess of Lyewryn, I'd rather not add the attempted assassination of a dignitary's son to the mix."

"From one mess to another." Cylphi shook her head. "This is not good for your condition."

Elery's hand swept gently over the noticeable swell in her belly and looked down at her city. "I suppose I should make an appearance, but most days now I would rather sleep. Now more than ever."

"As your adviser I should tell you that the committee has asked for your presence," Cylphi said. "However as your friend I suggest we gather pastries and sweets, seclude ourselves to a private room, and eat until we both fall asleep."

Elery smiled and put her arm around her. "A fine idea, to be honest, but I think that must wait. At least until I've settled matters with the committee." She lowered her hand to grasp Cylphi's and began to walk, leaving the comfort of her room behind to move through the bustling halls.