45. Of Allies and Enemies*

Two days passed and the etherium stores were near spent. The food reserves were running low as well and the last of what Elery brought from Suthri went to Vydel. Elery spent the time learning fire casting from Zethir as well as control, something that seemed very difficult despite her life of reservation. There was no time to dwell on what she'd told Isandel until each day ended and her training gave way to quiet time to eat and rest.

Though not without her armor and weapon in place. None dared to be without it.

"Remember the nature of fire," Zethir said as he quelled a flame eating through a patch of dry leaves beside him. "Fire consumes. It is not timid and easily frightened like a seedling. Give a small spark of your aura and it will flare, devouring whatever it might as quickly as possible. The more fire you spread, the more you must maintain. It is the most draining cast because fire will not hesitate to devour the caster.

Elery sat in the grass before him, shaking from overexertion. "I'd imagined all that would be needed was to set the spark ablaze."

"That is an invitation to wide-scale destruction. A good fire caster must also know how to keep that flame from devouring their allies. It's one thing to raze a large group. Quite another to separate friend from foe and control the flames so that your allies are not harmed. Control on that level spends a caster's aura quickly." He extended his hand. "We've done all we can for now. I should go replenish while there is still etherium left."

She took his hand and stood. "Thank you. I know this must be frustrating for you."

"Not at all," he smiled. "I look forward to speaking with my teacher again. That is, assuming he safely made the trip to Ortuna. He will be proud to know his teachings live on in you."

"I should like to meet him myself," Elery said.

He nodded. "He can be a strange old fellow, but Taelin and I would have died in the streets if not for him. Now go on, rest. Eat what you can. It won't be much longer before that barrier comes down and we can't have you worn ragged from training."

"Taelin..." she murmured. "Perhaps I am merely being oversensitive but I am of the opinion he is not fond of me."

His smile turned somewhat rueful. "Mind him not Elery, he is...difficult. His life has been especially hard and he's not keen on the higher class. I suppose that's normal for a thief of course, but his reasons begin long before he found himself living our life. His trust his hard won, but for what it's worth I would say he does not dislike you nearly as he did in the beginning."

"Well, that's something I suppose." Elery wiped her forehead. "Thank you again." She reached out and patted his shoulder. "When all is done, I hope you and he find the life you want. I will make it possible, if it is within my power to do so."

He patted her shoulder in return. "We would appreciate that. The farther I can get him from this life of cutthroats and thievery, the better."

Isandel stood from his position against the wall and led her back to her room. She garnered a few glances from passing knights but his presence seemed to keep them at bay. She looked at him to see him wearing a distant expression, as if he were lost in deep thoughts.

As curious as she was about those thoughts, she worried they might be things she wasn't prepared to deal with. Since she'd told him she loved having him beside her, he'd grown quiet.

What did he think her words meant?

What did my words mean? The rogue thought spurred momentary confusion and she reached up to touch area her bite mark resided. She couldn't touch it directly but she knew it was still there.