Enlisting Charlotte

I stood in the doorway, uncertain. Charlotte was in the center of the living room, completely engrossed in her meal. She was also surrounded by laughing, talking soldiers. I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to pull her out of there without everyone asking what I was up to.

Lost in thought, I jumped when someone touched my shoulder. Eli stood behind me, his smile bright in his tanned face. The picture of pure relief. "You're back. You made it back with soldiers so I guess they obviously believed you."

It was strange seeing him dressed in fresh, clean clothing, his shaggy hair neatly combed. A few days of easy living agreed with him. He'd lost most of the lean, almost hungry look in his features, though his eyes still scanned the soldiers every now and again, as if he wasn't sure if he could trust them or not.

"Yeah, they believed me."

Eli's smile disappeared. "You don't look happy."

I didn't have time to tell him about Bolthur and Ake and Gunny. Not now. Gunny was up there. The wound in her side could be infected for all I knew. She could slip into a coma and not wake up. I needed Charlotte.

"I'll fill you in with all the details as soon as I can, promise." I gave a guilty start as Charlotte looked up from her food and locked eyes with me. She'd felt me watching her.

Desperate, I mouthed the words, I need your help.

I'd never spoken to her before now. Not so much as two words. For all I knew she'd laugh at me, or send one of the guards to ask why I was bothering her.

Instead, Charlotte smiled and inclined her head, looking away from me. She nodded at something someone was saying to her, and then placed her plate down gently on the table in front of them, placing her hand on the soldier's arm.

She smiled and nodded to him before rising to her feet, movements graceful. "Davin, entertain yourself for a few minutes, I'll be right back."

The soldier chuckled. "Find. I shall be forced to turn to Graysun for amusement."

There was a bellow of laughter, and Charlotte smiled, moving towards me. I turned quickly, grabbing Eli's arm as I went. "Come on, I'll explain upstairs."

Thankfully Eli didn't protest, and he and Charlotte both followed me upstairs and down the hallway, into the room where we found Gunny's form still in bed, a lump under the covers. She didn't move, but I could see her side rising and falling slightly under the blanket. At least she was still breathing.

"Charlotte. Hi." I turned to her, heart beating hard in my throat. There was no telling what she'd make of all this. Gunny was so obviously not meant to be here. "I'm sorry for pulling you away like this. It's just...she doesn't want anyone to know."

Charlotte levelled light blue eyes on me, and her smile was gentle. "Vee, right? You're the one that started all of this. You're exceptionally brave, you know that?"
"Thank you." I hovered over Gunny. Should I wake her up? It didn't seem wise. "But she's one of the people who helped me get to the palace, and the other one didn't survive." I turned to Eli, who had stiffened as soon as I'd said it.

"What happened?" His voice went low and ragged.

"It was Bolthur. He turned on us. Ake died so I had a chance to run, to get my message to the King and Queen. And Gunny nearly did too. Now she's bent on finding Bolthur and getting vengeance for her captain."

"But she's wounded." Charlotte swept over to the bed, robes rustling. She reached out and gently rolled Gunny over onto her back. I winced, expecting the soldier to snap awake and attack Charlotte, but Gunny rolled over limply. Her eyes didn't even flutter.