Chapter 8 - [Beauty and the Mean Dad]

The next day proved to be the second scariest day since I met Akhenatem. The first day was obviously the day I was attacked by that crazy red-eyed man.

So why was this the second, you might ask?

Well, my father randomly decided to make an entrance in my life again.

It's probably obvious at this point that my parents and I weren't really close.

My mother and I would exchange some words here and there, but my father and I... oh god was it hell between my dad and I.

He was very disappointed in me. He hated that I chose not to become a lawyer and he made it clear.

I tried to not care about it but it really did hurt sometimes.

It sucked when you saw other girls your age being spoiled daddy's girls when I was here being treated like an outsider in my own family.

So yeah, we didn't talk much.

But when I woke up the next day in a fairly good mood since the day before ended off well with a pleased Akhenatem... I was shocked to see my dad at breakfast, telling me to get ready so that they could have a look at my brother's apartment.

In their mind, the apartment had been empty for quite some time now, so they wanted to see if it was still in a good enough condition for me to move in to.

To be completely honest, I was fairly certain that my dad just wanted me out of the house. ASAP.

Which was a good thing, for the both of us.

But the late notice was not a good thing.

"I'm kind of busy today," I lied, trying to stall for time.

"Make time," my tall, dark haired father responded, "I don't have time after today so figure things out and hurry up."

Hypocrite. Why doesn't he just make time?

My dad looked everything like my brother. Tall, dark haired, small eyed and clean shaved... but he acted nothing like my brother.

My dad's voice was harsh, kind of cold and had a hint of rudeness in it.

This voice of his was also one of the reasons I stayed away from him. I couldn't stand his harsh and criticizing voice.

My mom, who was my uncle Ethan's older sister, had dark eyes like me and pitch black hair, also like me. The only real difference between us was that she was very skinny and kept her hair fairly short all the time. She also had a harsh look, but at least her voice knew how to be nice too.

But today she wasn't going to spare me any kindness. She gave me an annoyed look which said, 'don't argue with your father.'

So, within a matter of minutes, I was sitting in my dad's car, panicking as we drove down towards the apartment.

Obviously, not only was Neferkiti there, but so was Akhenatem.

I was so screwed.

But then I came up with a genius idea, "can we please stop by grocery store. Please?" I begged, "I need to grab some tampons. My period just started." To be honest, I didn't even know if the grocery store had tampons. But we were already so close to the apartment and I couldn't think of anything else.

My mom gave me the annoyed look again, but this time it said, 'how dare you speak about such inappropriate things in front of your father?'

But whatever, it worked.