Chapter 1 - [Beauty and the Strange Dream]

"Will you go to prom with me?"

Sparklers sparkled and noisemakers made noise. One of Jake's buddies started to play 'My Heart Will Go On' on his electric guitar and a bunch of other friends unrolled a massive, unimpressive poster, which had the words that Jake had just spoken pasted onto it. Glitter spilled everywhere in the process.

Jake was on his knee with a box in his hands.

In it were very pretty earrings.

Oh. No.

No, I'm not being the one being asked to prom. No, not me, in case you're wondering.

I was just there because the cake that sat on a desk not too far away from the soon to be prom couple was baked and iced by me and I wanted to see what people thought about it.

I was hoping for a "oh my gosh! May made this? It's gorgeous!" or a "May Khan? I never imagined a quiet girl like her would have such talent! Wow!"

But I got neither.

Jake made the request and he paid me forty bucks for the pretty cake. Normally I would have charged fifty for such an extravagant cake with edible pearls all over it but he was broke and I'm too nice for my own good.

Once Annabelle squealed and said her okay, I turned around and walked away.

My cake was getting no attention at all.

When I joined my best friend Aurora in front of our lockers, she greeted me with her usual wholehearted grin.

"Did you see the promposal?" Ugh. I hated that word! It sounded so silly!

My beautiful red haired friend rolled her eyes, "I avoid those like the plague."

And I laughed. This is why we were best friends.

"They're too cheesy for me," she went on, brushing her luscious locks over her shoulder, "But whatever, did everyone marvel at the cake?"

My lips fell into a pout, "nope," I sighed, "I worked so hard. I could have just made it out of Styrofoam."

She let out a small laugh and linked arms with me, "well, if you want I'll force Jake to pay that extra money he owes you." She winked at me.

Aurora was a strange girl. She was super pretty with her real orange-ish, red-ish hair and her vibrant green eyes. Her freckles were perfect and her eyebrows were always tamed and she had a smile that could break hearts.

She was definitely popular girl material.

Instead, she was the kind of girl that kicked ass more than she wore dresses. She was the cool girl.

The cool girl who I was ever so lucky to get as a best friend.

And I knew damn well that she was dead serious when she said she'd force Jake to pay up.

"Please do," I gave her a silly smile and she returned it before the two of us headed home.

It was Thursday, which meant tomorrow was Friday. Obviously. But the reason I say this is because tomorrow was a special day. Tomorrow was my birthday.

Usually I wasn't the type to hype up my birthday... but this year I was turning eighteen. And in this world of mine, eighteen meant I was an adult.

I have been waiting for this day for a long, long time.

After we got home, Ro and I studied for some time and when I was done, I took my contacts out of my eyes as Ro packed up her Chemistry textbook, "any plans for tomorrow?" She asked when she set her packed bag aside.