Always By Your Side

(A/N: I finally decided to do something and to stop procrastinating but it's just so hard to get out of bed. I cry. I apologise for the long wait whoops.) 

 Chapter Seventeen Always By Your Side

 =Maka's P.O.V=

 My heart beat was ringing in my ears and each breath I took constricted my chest but I pushed onwards. With Soul running by my side, we sprinted towards the kishin which had now made it's way into the village. The ground seemed to shift beneath my feet as buildings were knocked down one by one. Fear bubbled inside of me but I forced it to the back of my mind and clenched my fists. We made it to an opening at the start of the line of tree's leading into the forest. The was nothing but dirt and the left over debris of a smashed shack. Finally coming face to face with the kishin left me speechless and more than a little frightened. It ceased in it's rampage of destruction to stare at us, it's head twitching from side to side. Holding my hand out to my side, I watched as Soul transformed into a scythe, the weight of the weapon landing securely in my grip. The kishin before me let out an inhuman growl, baring a line of jagged teeth. I circled the creature slowly, my footsteps cautious and quiet. One beady, bloodshot eye followed my every movement as the other glanced in multiple directions. Without warning, it pounced forward towards me, causing me to jump. Rolling off to the side away from it's fist embedded in the ground which was almost the same size as me, I tightened my grasp on Soul and rushed towards it. My aim was focused on the centre of it's head, not an easy jump to make seeing as it was three times my height but not impossible either. In a sudden rush of movement, the kishin had lifted it's arm to push me away. Winded, my back collided with the trunk of a tree, causing me to gasp in pain. Soul slipped from my grip causing him to shout my name before the kishin came charging at me, mouth hanging open as saliva pooled out. Forcing myself to get to my feet on shaking legs, I jumped to the left, inches away from the kishins now squirming body as it got itself up from the fallen tree it had knocked down in it's wake. I didn't have a plan or a strategy that would get me out of this situation. I had pure luck and courage on my side that hopefully wouldn't let me down this time. Bolting towards Soul, I clenched my fists around the metal handle and dashed at the kishin, a shout tearing it's way out of my mouth, leaving my throat raw. Before the kishin could react, the blade of the scythe was buried deeply within it's arm, causing a spurt of blood to pour out after I removed Soul from the wound we had inflicted. "Tch," I frowned, dodging an attack attempting to hit my right side. "The cut was too shallow." We continued on like that for what seemed like an eternity. Blade meeting skin, claws and a fist injuring me. I was breathing heavily and had quite a few scratches one me by the time Soul and I had administered any actual damage on the creature. It's movements were slowing due to the blood loss but it was still putting up quite the fight. My fear towards it had definitely dulled after I had realised it was possible to hurt it, meaning that taking it down was a given. "Soul," I said, my hands tightening around him. "Let's finish this."I heard Soul make a noise of agreement before we simultaneously shouted 'soul resonance.' Bringing our wavelengths up to match each others, I felt the surge of power flow through me that was our combined souls. The kishin screamed an ear piercing noise but I did not falter. I wouldn't falter. I would not fail. "Witch hunter!" I yelled, pushing the extended scythe with as much force as possible into the charging monster. It wailed momentarily before the blade cut through the centre of it. Time seemed to stop as I cute straight through it. Blackened liquid flowed freely from it's disintegrating form. I watched as it slipped away into nothing, leaving behind a mess of foulness. Panting, I ran the back of my gloved hand over my forehead and let go off Soul as he transformed again to stand beside me. "And you were so worried," he chuckled, slinging his arm lazily around my shoulders. "I guess that was easier than I expected," I laughed, looking at the sky as the once dark night shifted to the soft colours of the early dawn. "I probably would of been an even bigger wreck without you.""That's what I'm here for," Soul replied, grinning. "No one hurts my meister, not even her own head."He knocked me lightly on the top of my head causing a smile to spread across my face. "Really Soul, I mean it. Thank you.""We're a team after all," he smirked, hugging me fully as I pressed my face into his chest. "I'll always be here. I'll always be by your side."I smiled so widely it began to hurt my cheeks but I didn't care. Glancing at the sky once more, together we watched the hues of pink and orange streak the sky as the sun rose. ————Upon entering the motel to checkout, we were greeted by multiple villagers almost in tears. They gushed about how thankful they were. The motel owner apologised for his hostility when we had first met, a bashful expression on his face as he scratched the back of his head. I brushed the offers of homemade foods and goods away as people shook my hands. Soul and I managed to escape after what could of been an hour or more and prepared ourselves for the long ride back to Death City. "I was kind of expecting more you know," I told Soul as I climbed onto the bike behind him, letting my arms loosely hang around his torso."Yeah," he agreed as he started the bike. "I guess it did seem a bit too easy but hey, I'm just glad it's over. You getting hurt wouldn't of been cool at all." I laughed in reply, enjoying the feel of the wind on my face as we left the village behind in a cloud of dust. I was beyond happy that it was all finally over but something was still nagging me at the back of my mind. I couldn't pinpoint the exact problem but it had something to do with annoyance aimed at myself and a lingering sense of suspicion. The frustration of how my weakness overcame me was something I had to work on as soon as we got home. I needed to become stronger than that. There was no sense in worrying over minuscule things that I could handle like I did. What was bugging me the most of all was that even though things were over, it didn't feel like anything had completely finished.

 (I apologise for the fact that my action scenes seem to be lacking. I had a few ideas prepared months ago then completely forgot about everything so sorry about that. Also for anyone who's seen Haikyuu! I've been thinking about writing something for that as well, seeing as I only just finished the anime a week ago and IT COMPLETELY RUINED ME. Updates should be quicker this time around if you pester me enough aha. Much love to every single reader! Xox. You guys are great honestly)