Chapter 4: An Impromptu Kiss

That's when I spit out my coffee in shock. It went all over her clothes, especially on her clean white t-shirt. Now I feel kinda bad..

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry," I apologized as I grabbed a cloth and started cleaning up.

"It's okay. We have worse things to worry about besides a coffee stain on my favourite shirt. We need to figure out a way to get Sandy back..." She replied. After a few minutes of silence, I couldn't think of anything.

"I can't think of anything that wouldn't require you becoming his girlfriend and risking you getting hurt. I don't think we'll ever get her back.." I resigned. I felt like my heart was breaking, she was such a sweet dog...

"No, no, no. We will get her back, I promise. Think positive, and good things will surely be on the way!" She replied with a smile, trying to cheer me up. As much as I wanted to wallow in my sorrow, I couldn't. Work was in an hour and I needed to get dressed.

Sighing, I got up and dragged myself upstairs. Knowing that it was about a 15 minute walk from the house to work, I took a very quick shower. I quickly put on a dark pair of capris and a white shirt while I grabbed my bag. As much as I dislike going into public without a little bit of makeup on, I knew that I couldn't afford to be late.

I quickly ran downstairs, grabbed a muffin and ran out the door. Once out the door I slowed to a walk and ate my muffin as I enjoyed the scenery. It was one of my favourite things about where I lived. The scenery was breathtaking. No matter what you could always hear the birds chirping and were always guaranteed some shade from the sun.

Before I knew it, I had finished my muffin and had already arrived at work. Elijah's Coffee Shop was it's name. It was a quaint little coffee shop (big surprise.. It serves coffee!) that served some of the best croissants in the city.

As soon as I walked inside, I was taken back by how many people were in the shop. It was for the first time since I started working there crowded with people. I pushed my way through the crowd and grabbed my apron. As I put it on, I surveyed the crowd. It seemed like a large amount of our regulars were here, normally they arrived throughout the day; not all at once!

I turned to my boss Elijah and shouted over the noise, "Are we doing some sort of special or did everyone decide to come at the same time?"

"We recently started serving Pumpkin Spice Lattes and as you can see, they're a hit!" He replied with a huge smile. Though I hadn't tried them yet, they smelled amazing. After my apron was on, I got straight to work. I served a ridiculously large amount of Pumpkin Spice Lattes to people. By the time it was 1 o'clock most of the crowd had thinned out, thank God!

My shift didn't end until 6 p.m. so I still had some time to go before I could work on formulating a plan on getting Sandy back. Before I realized it, I was completely focused on coming up with plans to get her back that I completely tuned everything else out.

"Earth to Ella!" Elijah yelled as he waved his hand in my face to try and get my attention. Well it worked...

"What?" I asked as I looked around to try and figure out what was going on. I was really hoping that it was miraculously closing time.

"You kind of phased out for a minute. Here's a Pumpkin Spice Latte that needs to go to Table 3," he told me as he handed me the latte. Shaking myself out of my daze I stood up and looked around for table 3. It was all the way in the corner of the shop, a man was sitting there staring out of the window.

I walked over there, put the latte on the table and said "Here's your latte, sir". As I turned to leave, a hand grabbed my arm and spun me around. There sitting right in front of me was Aaron.

"Hello, pretty lady," he said with a flirty smile.

"Hello, Aaron," I said as I laughed. I certainly wasn't expecting to run into him any time soon.

"I didn't know you worked here."

"Yeah, I do; obviously."

"How are you?" he asked. Before I knew it, I ended up telling him the whole story about Tom and how we can't get Sandy back without endangering Sarah. He was actually a good listener.

"Yeah, so as you can see; meeting you was probably the only good thing that happened to me today," I told him.

"Oi! I don't pay you to flirt with customers!" Elijah yelled out from the other side of the shop.

"No, you pay me to look cute so the customers will stick around and have to buy our food," I retort with a smile. Turning my attention back to Aaron, "Thank you for listening to me. That really meant a lot."

"No, problem. I know we don't know each other very well, considering we technically just met this morning but I'm here for you if you ever need anything," he replied.

"So I just randomly show up to your house if I need help?" I said as I put my hand on my hip, with my eyebrows up as if I was saying 'really?'.

"No, no, no. You'll have my phone number," he told me as he brought out his phone. I brought out mine and we exchanged phone numbers. Maybe this is the start of something.. Or maybe just someone new I can incessantly tease..

"So is this your way of getting a girl's' phone number? By showing up to their workplace and consoling them after they've had a bad day?" I asked with a cheeky smile.

"Only on days where I've seen a beautiful girl." he replies with a wink.

"Hey! Miss Flirtatious, I thought i told you that I only pay you to work; not flirt with the customers!!" Elijah shouts again as he glares at me.

"Have a good day, Aaron," I said as I left to go take care of whatever Elijah wanted me to do. Throughout the rest of my shift, he kept giving me flak for "flirting" with Aaron. No matter how many times I assured him that Aaron and I were just friends, he would just shake his head at me.

"You know, Ella. He looked at you like you were a beautiful diamond. I think he fancies you." Elijah told me as I took off my apron at the end of the day.

"He was just joking around," I brushed it off. But part of me wondered if he was right, like Aaron seemed like a really nice guy and he was quite attractive. Maybe he did like me... I shook my head and banished the thought from my mind. I couldn't focus on him if I was going to get Sandy back.

Because of how busy and hectic today was, I was exhausted. As soon as I got home, I went upstairs and plopped on my bed. As much as I wanted to get Sandy back, I knew being extremely tired wouldn't bring her back or help me come up with good ideas. The ideas would probably be idiotic and only get myself hurt if I tried them in my current state.

In the middle of the night I was woken up by knocking on the window in my room. I groggily got up and to my surprise there was a guy in a dark black costume with a dog on my roof.

Against my better judgement I opened up the door and a dog barreled towards me. I was thrown backwards and promptly licked to death practically by the dog. When it finally stopped licking me, I looked up and discovered it was Sandy. I shot up and hugged her as tight as I could. I cried a little bit as I held on to her.

Realizing that the window was still open, I got up to close it and came face to face with the masked man. The darkness hid most of his features but I could still make out the shape of his body. He seemed slightly muscular and kind of young.

"You got Sandy back for me! Thank you so much. You don't know how much this means to me. I mean like she's practically family and I love her so much. I don't know.."

I was promptly cut off as he grabbed my face gently and very quickly his lips were on mine.

Thanks so much for reading this chapter. Almost 100 reads, wow. I know to many of you that's very little but to me, that's a lot. I hope you enjoyed this and please remember to vote and leave comments on what you think about it so far.