2.9 Screaming plants and people

[The next day, the second year students are in the Herbology greenhouses as enters.]

Professor Sprout: Morning, everyone. [taps the stand to get everyone's attention] Good morning, everyone.

Students: Good morning, Professor Sprout.

Professor Sprout: Welcome to Greenhouse Three, second years. Now, gather around, everyone. Today, we're going to repot Mandrakes. Who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake root? [Hermione raises her hand] Yes, Miss Granger.

Hermione: Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been petrified to their original state. It's also quite dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it.

Professor Sprout: Excellent, ten points to Gryffindor! Now, as our Mandrakes are still only seedlings, their cries won't kill you yet, but they could knock you out for several hours, which is why I've given each of you a pair of earmuffs for auditory protection, so if you could please put them on right away. [the students start putting them on] Quickly, flaps tight down. [they all have their earmuffs on] Now, watch me closely. You grasp your Mandrake firmly, you pull it sharply up out of the pot. [She pulls up a plant, revealing a root that resembles a monstrous screaming baby. The students look alarmed.] Got it? And now you dunk it down into the other pot and pour a little sprinkling of soil to keep him warm. [Neville falls to the floor] Longbottom's been neglecting his earmuffs.

Seamus: No, ma'am, he's just fainted.

Professor Sprout: Yes, well... just leave him there. Right, on we go. Plenty of pots to go around. Grasp your Mandrake and pull it up.

[The students all do so. Draco plays with his Mandrake, causing it to bite his finger. Later that day, Nearly Headless Nick is floating down a Hogwarts corridor.]

The people in the great hall laugh at Draco.

Student: There's Nearly Headless Nick.

[Nick floats past Percy, who is walking next to a girl.]

Sir Nicolas: Hello, Percy, Miss Clearwater. [doffs his head like a hat]

Percy: Hello, Sir Nicholas.

[Nearly Headless Nick turns into the Great Hall. At the Gryffindor table, Ron is trying to tape his broken wand back together.]

Ron: Say it, I'm doomed.

Juniper: You're doomed.

[Just then, an eager young boy called shows up.]

Colin: Hi, Harry and Juniper! [snaps a photograph of them] I'm Colin Creevey! I'm in Gryffindor too!

Harry: Hi, Colin, nice to meet you.

Colin: Say, do you think your friend here could take a photo of me and you two standing together? You know, to prove I've met you. It's for my dad, he's a milkman, you know, a Muggle, like all our family's been until me. No one knew all the odd stuff I could do was magic 'til we got that letter from Hogwarts! Everyone just thought I was mental.

Ron: Imagine that.

Dean: Ron, is that your owl?

[Errol flies into the Great Hall and crashes in front of Ron. The Slytherins all laugh.]

Ron: Bloody bird's a menace. [He takes a red envelope from Errol. As the owl flies away, Ron looks at the envelope.] Oh, no!

Seamus: Look, everyone, Weasley's got himself a Howler.

Neville: Go on, Ron. I ignored one from my Gran once. It was horrible.

[Ron tentatively opens the envelope.]

June speaks along with the movie. "RONALD WEASLEY! HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT CAR! I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! YOUR FATHER'S NOW FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK AND IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT! IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE, WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME.

Howler: [in Mrs. Weasley's voice] RONALD WEASLEY! [rearranges itself into a floating mouth] HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT CAR! I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! YOUR FATHER'S NOW FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, AND IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT! IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE, WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME! [turns to Ginny, also sitting at the table] Oh, and Ginny dear, congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are so proud. [sticks out its tongue at Ron and then tears itself up]

"You know that by heart?" Ron asks.

"Yes." Juniper replies, leaving it at that.