Chapter 296 - Akatsuki Moves - Target: Daichi Hekima

In an unknown location Orochimaru was leaning against the wall watching Shizune desperately try to stabilize her teacher with a malicious grin.

'Just as I thought. Her vital reaction is much better than all of my previous test subjects. But this is still a delicate moment. Things could go wrong at any moment. But if I can succeed, I'll be that much closer to achieving my ambition.'

As he watched the young medic work he noticed a paper with a seal on the nearby wall suddenly burn to ssh. The Snake Sannin's grin slightly widened as he saw the paper go up in flames. 'So they found the body huh. They must have gotten the information from Mizuki somehow. Well, it won't matter.'

Orochimaru's mind went to the last time met with Ko Yamanaka.

Flashback.

Knock! Knock!

Orochimaru only had to wait a couple seconds before the door opened. He saw the surprise on Ko's face and couldn't help but grin.

"Lord Orochimaru. Please come inside. I just finished the task you assigned me."

"Kukuku... Hello Ko. I take it that everything went well."

"Yes Lord Orochimaru. Mizuki just left a few minutes ago. I did just as you asked and got the payment right here."

Orochimaru could see that the blonde ninja was nervous and trying to hide that fact.

"Good. I knew I could count on you. There is one more thing I need you to do."

"Whatever you need my Lord." Ko replied and gave a small bow. Orochimaru's grin widened as he looked at the man.

The Grass Sword suddenly appeared from Orochimaru's sleeve. The Sannin grabbed it and slashed at Ko with murderous intent. "Die for me."

The Yamanaka ninja quickly reacted and was able to avoid the killing strike but he was still wounded. There was a deep slash across his chest.

Orochimaru smiled as he saw that. "Very good Ko. You wouldn't have been able to avoid that strike if you weren't vigilant against me... And if I wasn't toying with you... Hihi..."

Ko was grim as he looked at his opponent. He knew just how dangerous the man in front of him was. "Wh-why? I have served loyally..."

Hearing that excuse Orochimaru's expression changed into one of mock disappointment. "Why do you lie to me Ko? Hihihi..."

The Yamanaka ninja was silent and was thinking of ways to escape. 'He knows. Damn it. But I was so sure that I wasn't followed...'

The smile on the snake Sannin's face vanished and Ko began to feel his killing intent.

"I followed you to your meeting with the Leaf Anbu. I saw that Anbu forcing your hand. I know you're spying on me under threat from the Hokage. I could have killed both of you then and there but... Well, I had a better idea."

Ko immediately knew what Orochimaru did. "You want to use me to feed them false intelligence."

"Yes. That was the original plan. I know you were keeping an eye on my shipments and their routes. I thought about using you to send them on a wild goose chase but I've changed my mind."

Before Ko could use any seals to and try to escape, Orochimaru vanished from his position and Ko was stabbed through the heart from behind.

"It's better if they had no intel at all." The cruel Sannin whispered in Ko's ear. He sensed the man's vitals drop and in seconds the spy was dead and on the ground.