Chapter 212 - C Rank: Retake the Fortress 03(Final)

Kakashi and Daichi were moving through the streets of the Land of Tea. They were sticking to the shadows and making their way to their target location.

At that moment Daichi asked a question that's been on his mind. "Hey sensei. We might encounter a ninja in this mission. So shouldn't this be labeled as a B Rank instead of a C Rank?"

"That's a valid question. There are a couple of reasons for that. One, is that this mission was specifically assigned to our team because most other Jonin and Chunin were away with their own tasks. And since an encounter with a hostile shinobi is a possibility this type of mission won't be given to a normal rookie Genin team."

"But we aren't a normal rookie team."

"No we're not. Now a few other Special Jonin would have taken the mission but the threat level described by the client doesn't warrant their participation. So the Hokage decided to give it to us. He knows that while you might be a Genin in Rank, you would be more than capable of holding yourself against an ordinary Jonin. So we're the best team to complete this without any problems. The second reason is that while this mission is marked as a C Rank, its pay is on the upper end bordering on B Rank missions."

Daichi nodded with that reason. "So essentially a C Rank mission with an almost B Rank mission pay. I can live with that."

The two Leaf ninjas quietly moved through the trees and soon the large fortress was in their sight. They stood under the cover of shadows and observed the bandits guarding their temporary home.

Daichi looked at the structure of the fortress and was impressed. "The people who created this fortress were smart. They designed the castle in a symmetrical shape to help give the occupants a broader line of sight and built taller towers which would maximize the view."

The Jonin nodded with his student's assessment. "And this one even has a moat. It's several feet deep and filled with water. While it's rare, with how we can walk on water, it's not that surprising.." He added.

"I think that was the point. I took a sample of the water earlier and tested it. There's poison mixed in it. It won't spread to the surrounding lands but whoever gets in the water will have a very bad day." Daichi said.

Kakashi understood the reason behind such a move. "They want the intruder to walk on water. That way they'll be able to spot them quickly and attack."

"Based on the recon and blueprints, only one way in and out. And the drawbridge is closed. We'll have to use an Earth jutsu and move underground."

The silver haired Jonin agreed with the plan. "We'll create a few shadow clones and surround the area. Then we'll use Earth burrow jutsu and move about 8 feet under the moat. We'll resurface in the south east section of the fortress."

"Yes. Got it."

Once the plan was made, Daichi and Kakashi made a seal and a few shadow clones popped up. They slowly moved around the giant stone structure and took up their positions. The real Kakashi and Daichi, without wasting any more time, went through several hand seals.

'Earth style - Earth Burrow Jutsu.'

[Earth Style - Earth Burrow Jutsu - Active(LV.27): This jutsu allows the user to travel through the earth undetected by most ninja. The chakra kneaded in the body is spread into the ground and softens the earth around the jutsu caster. The user disappears underground while the earth hardens on the surface. This jutsu allows the user to create a small tunnel by compressing and softening the earth around the person and helps the user move underground in any direction. Once the chakra dissipates the tunnel collapses.]