Chapter 295 - Point of no return

Danzo Shimura held a cold gaze as he made his way up the steps of the Hokage tower. His mind was on the events that would take place in the next few days.

'I'm doing what's best for the village. If we remain passive the other villages will take action and destroy us... Yes. This is for the best.'

Danzo only went to the Hokage tower after he had confirmed that Hiruzen had met with the spy he embedded in Root.

'Hiruzen will no doubt be confused. But with this information his forces will be stretched thin and I can initiate my plan.'

Danzo soon reached the door to the Hokage office and took a deep breath of air. 'This is it. My point of no return. If this fails... I'll be executed. But if it succeeds I'll be the next Hokage. Only a few will remain a problem. Once I deal with Hiruzen I'll have to deal with Jiraiya as well. Hmph. No matter how strong he is, Kotoamatsukami will put him under my control.'

Just a moment later the door to the office opened and two Aburame and a Hyuga Jonin walked out. Danzo looked at their body language and saw that they were tense and he knew it was not because of him.

'I wonder what's happened...? No. Now isn't the time to worry about that.'

Danzo quickly moved forward and stood in front of the old leader. "I have what you asked for Hiruzen."

The Hokage merely leaned back in his chair and looked at the one eyed man in silence. He remembered the information his spy sent him a short while ago. 'Let's see what your game is Danzo.'

The old war hawk put the scroll on the desk and activated it. Several papers and maps appeared and Hiruzen quickly began going over it. His eyes widened as he saw the information on it.

"These are..."

"Orochimaru's secret transportation channels, approximate location of his base of operations. And an estimate of the man power he would have under his control."

The Hokage quickly went through the information and his eyes narrowed. "According to these, Orochimaru has around 7 bases of operations built in the Land of Fire."

"Yes. He's been busy the last few months. He was very careful about it but he couldn't move such large shipments of materials and people without me noticing it." Danzo replied as he stood stoically.

Hiruzen raised his head and looked at the commander of Root. "I've been keeping an eye on Orochimaru's movements but I didn't find anything... So how did you come across such information?"

"I have my methods, Hiruzen. You have what you asked for."

The old kage was silent as he looked at the information on his desk. "I'll need to investigate and make sure this information is accurate before I take action."

Danzo only nodded his head.

"This information... Do your agents know about this?" Hiruzen asked while keeping a calm expression.

"They knew a few details but not much. All this information is kept classified and under lock in my vault. I've sent my men to investigate 3 locations to make sure I'm not wrong and Orochimaru isn't leading us into a trap."

Hiruzen nodded and soon dismissed the man.

Danzo was expressionless on the outside but his heart was beating faster than normal. 'The information I gave you is all true. You'll need a large force to attack Orochimaru's hideouts. Once you make your move, the village won't have much force to defend you and then I'll take charge. The sleeper agents I've sent to infiltrate your ranks will soon help me take control... I'm the one who will lead this village into a new era.'