Public Transportation

I hate public transportation. You would think with as much money cities make, that they would be able to keep their public transportation clean. But no, they didn't care about the public. All they cared about was making money. Busses and trains made their money. The bare minimum could be done to clean them, and it would be fine. People will always need them. People like me whose car decided to be a piece of shit and give out. Or those who never had a car and can't afford one. We needed this streetcar. Regardless of how much we hated it. Seattle was a beautiful place to live. But only if you didn't look deeper than the surface. Like the floor of the streetcar, I was in. Shifting my feet, I nearly gag at the sticky feeling. I can't wait to have my car back. The shop said I should have my car back by Monday, and tomorrow was Friday. So only one more day of this since I'm off this weekend. I look out the window and sigh. Only four more stops and I'll be home. I'll be able to shower and get into my warm bed, with one of my books.

Today had been a long day. I worked as a barista at a small family-owned coffee shop. It's been raining a lot more than usual today. So, we were quite busy today. Everyone wanted something to warm them up or a place to get out of the rain for a bit while they shopped in the little plaza we were in. Today was spent making more than my fair share of lattes and macchiatos and I had burned myself more times than I would like to admit. As busy as we were, I still loved my job. India, my best friend, got me the job when I first moved here. She was the first person I met when I moved here. I had stumbled into her parents' coffee shop after my boyfriend of three years ghosted me. She saw I was crying and got me a warm cup of tea. She let me vent even though she had just met me. After an hour of me venting to a stranger, she immediately got me a job and offered for me to crash at her apartment until I got on my feet. No questions asked. I denied staying with her. Opting for a local hotel. That only lasted a few weeks, until money started getting tight. By then India had grown closer and gained some trust, so I took her up on her offer after about a month. She didn't ask for rent, only that I kept it clean and paid for groceries every other week. I was able to stack up my cash and rent a cheaper apartment not too far from hers. I was actually close to our third amigo, Sydney

Some days I miss the warmth of being in Virginia Beach, getting a tan. Especially days like today. The streetcar jerks and the guy standing behind me stumbles into my back. I try to move forward, but it's incredibly packed today, probably because of all the rain. No one wants to wait and hope they get a cab. I swear I hear the guy behind me sniff me, and I cringe in disgust, trying to shift away from him again. I swear he has been trying to grind into me since he got on two stops ago. I roll my eyes just as the train stops and the creep gets off. He smiles at me with crooked teeth, and I frown and turn my head away from him. Thank god he's gone. The car gets a little less cramped and I breathe a sigh of relief. A few people get on, but not nearly as many as before. I'm still standing close to a few people, but I have a little wiggle room. I hear someone mumbling in front of me and I look up to see a man on the phone. Oh, my goodness he is so handsome. He was tall. Wearing a dark grey tailored suit, he screams successful businessman. Stubble lined his jaw as if he hadn't shaved for at least a day or two. His dark hair was neatly combed back, but there was a stray loc that had fallen forward and rested on his forehead. His brows were furrowed as he talked to whoever he was on the phone with. His dark brown eyes briefly look down at me and I'm pinned by his gaze. I don't know why I couldn't look away, but I also wasn't sure I wanted to. All too soon though, he pulls his gaze away from me and looks over my head. He continued his conversation, his deep voice was gruff, with a tinge of anger. I turn my body so that my back is to him, trying to give him some privacy and to stop myself from staring at him.

When I turn though, as I look up, I'm met with a pair of piercing blue eyes. The man standing in front of me is just as handsome as the guy behind me. He's maybe an inch shorter than him, but still taller than me. He had on a white T-shirt and a pair of dark jeans. He smiles down at me. His teeth are pearly white and straight. Deep dimples on a clean-shaven face have my heart melting. Short dirty blonde hair is all over his head, as if he just rolled out of bed. He smelled amazing. Whereas the man behind me had a very woody and cozy scent. The man I'm looking at now had more of a spicy smell. Both of them together had my head swimming. "Hi." His voice was deep but cheerful. His smile widens as he raises an eyebrow at me.