Chapter 15 - Destructive Fires

851

E

Every week that followed put me on the fine line between warm and burning. Soon enough, the spring morphed into the summer, as if it hasn’t left me reeling over the magic of winter enough by itself.

On Reiner’s birthday that August, I had an important job interview to do, and his comrades also booked him in the evening for some drinks at their favorite pub. I went home from the interview with another dangling response over my acceptance to the job, which wasn’t new to me anymore– besides the fact that companies were never not cynical about women in mathematics and management, there was also the issue of my being an employee of the government department that was slowly but surely collapsing.

I walked home on Reiner’s birthday, expecting that I’d just see him tomorrow. Maybe I’d give him the gift then.

Arriving at the shop however, my whole spirit lit up when I found him sitting on the stool in front of the counter, conversing in a lively manner with Mr. Pascal. The night was irritatingly humid, filled with the familiar city scent of fruity alcohol, mixed in with the buzzing busyness of cars and carriages all around. And yet that amber-lit spot inside the bookshop enticed me like a promise of absolute relief from the heat and hubbub of the Port’s busiest season.

Almost skipping to the entrance, Reiner came out with a smile that got bigger every step he took, and met me halfway outside. “Reiner!” I cheered, throwing my arms around his neck as he wrapped his own tightly around my torso. Just like all the time, being this close to him was balm enough for everything that was sore in me.

“I thought you couldn't make it tonight. I wouldn’t have minded.” I said, my small voice muffled against his jacket, still not letting him go. My toes were barely touching the ground, and my whole body was aching, but I didn't mind. I just relished the contact all the time, his warmth against mine.

“Now why would I miss what would be my first birthday with you and Wiseguy?” Reiner said. He put me down gently, one hand still around my waist. I didn’t want him to let me go every time he touched me, and I got the sense that he knew this; for he doesn’t really ever lose contact. “Have you had dinner yet? I brought Eastern food. I didn’t have the time to make them myself, I’m sorry.”

“Are you kidding?” I laughed at him, as I walked over to Mr. Pascal and greeted him with a hug. “It’s already a relief to me that I don’t have to make my own dinner tonight.”

Turning to my old man, I brought up a smile despite my weariness. “You didn’t forget to take your medicine now, did you Mr. Pascal?”

“You called three times today about it, child. And this big oaf too.” Mr. Pascal nodded over to Reiner, who just grinned. I walked next to my partner, the counter separating us from Wiseguy. “You both would forget your own names but never my medication schedule.”

“We’d rather lose our memory than lose you, sir.” Reiner said, trailing his arm behind me as I leaned my back against his chest, our chairs so close together. The three of us laughed over his cheesy line. “Well, it’s true!” He defended with a big grin.

“Weren't your friends disappointed that you couldn’t stay out late?” I asked him.

“No,” Reiner shook his head, “I told them that I was changing my ways.”

“So that implies you were an alcoholic?” Mr. Pascal asked sharply, making Reiner stare at him as if struck that he was found out. It almost gave me a real scare, to know that I had something I didn’t know yet about him; until he shattered it with a big laugh, saying “I’m just messing with you.”, making Mr. Pascal and I laugh too.