Chapter 6 - The Interim

850

E

We were dismissed early from work that Saturday, as the schedule usually goes- until five on weekdays and only until three on weekends, unless you wanted to do overtime. I usually did overtime since I really didn't want to go back to our house early- my brother knew my ins and outs and would be expecting me at certain times. But today, I felt like I wanted to take a time off.

"Hey, fireplace!" Reiner greeted, wheeling into my office building's parking entrance on a bike- wearing a casual coat over his casual shirt and trousers.

Yeah. I suppose I knew that he was always going to come around. He was the type to really walk as he talked.

"Why the hell are you on a bicycle?" I asked him, stunned, concealing my being impressed. He came on the cobblestone path breezily, as if he'd always done this before.

"You said you didn't want to be seen in a car." He shrugged with a sly smile. "I'm not as bird-brained as you think I am, but I am definitely stubborn."

I strained to keep my face stone serious, but he was there with one foot for balance on the ground, just staring at me with that blithe expression that told me he knew what he was doing worked on me.

"You get your way all the time, Giant." I rolled my eyes, turning around on my heels to find my bike. He let out a chuckle as he sped past me.

"Saddle up, E. I wanna show you some place." He said as I reached my ride. I unlocked the chains as we talked.

"Are you ever going to run out of places?" I asked.

"Hmm, maybe. I think I've got maybe a dozen more in the back of my mind somewhere." He replied calmly. "And I think you'll find each one of them beautiful."

I let out a sigh as I mounted my bicycle. "Lead the way, trooper."

He let out a triumphant laugh. "I knew you were going to budge."

I rolled my eyes and he laughed again, and we started riding down Hudson Lane, the sky painting a golden tint over a dull ivory main street. He and I rode through the quiet Port City road, keeping to the pavement to make way for the cars. Here and there were people who were with people. I used to think that moving about anywhere with someone tagging along was a nuisance. I just realized it had to be the right companion.

"What do you do in that boring ass building anyways?" Reiner inquired, riding right next to me, just a little behind me. "Do you have little cubicles where you get to be isolated from literally everyone?"

I let out a short laugh. "I wish. We do most of our work alone but we've got block mates. My desk neighbor's name is Sienna. I'm lucky enough 'cause I like her."

"I bet she's someone who doesn't even talk." Reiner suggested as a tease, making me giggle.

"Nah, she talks a lot. What I like about her is she doesn't pry you open if she senses you don't wanna be pried." I answered as we turned the next street. "I dislike people who don't know how to read the room."

"Am I like that?" The blonde asked. I stole a glance at him and smirked, not answering.

"That's so unfair." He muttered. "And mean."

I just let out a laugh, as we pedaled down a quieter street, less busy than the last. Here was where he started to lead the way, as we were out of Hudson Lane.

"But you didn't answer my question." Reiner perked up. "What kind of work do you do in there?"

"I do the auditing. I keep the books for political figures and do financial managements of the projects they do for the city." I explained. "To make it more digestible for your simple mind, I do maths."