Chapter 2 - Fly-by-Night

851

E

I willingly entered this tumultuous period of time already thinking, no, knowing, that it was not going to be merciful to me. Maybe it had never been merciful to both of us.

We have a saying in Marley that old parents and grandparents always used on their blushing young daughters who were seeming to spend a little more time around the places where young, dashing lieutenants gathered around. The quote's been ingrained in my head as a young lady myself who heard it at least a hundred times a week, but it has never ever been applicable in my life until the winter of 851.

You cannot fall for a soldier and get away with it, dear.

It all echoed back to my head right there, as if my better thinking was warning my heart. Eden, don't.

But there was something about Reiner, standing there in his trench coat by the long tables talking to his superior comrades, a bottle of scotch on his hand. His face, lined with the invisible scars of war, his glacier eyes flitting this second and settling another. He looked so present and yet so lost. So alluring and yet so distant. Like the combination of all contraries he could be when it comes to despising life and still having a purpose.

And it didn't help that he, every once in a while, looked at me and lingered. Our eyes met across the grass field of the wide military base, myself sat upon one of the benches and talking to wives of generals, and him there talking to the generals themselves. I pretended I was looking past him, but he would only smile and bow his head.

I turned away because the heat in my cheeks warned me that if he smiled at me another time, I might smile back. It was a cold evening as well and that wasn't helping.

"Whomever thought it would be a good idea to have this banquet set outside?" Mrs. Dean perked up, looking around the place, where people in their semi-formal attire gathered around the courtyard, mingling amongst themselves under the warm lights strung over the posts. "It's freezing!"

"The ceremonial ballroom indoors is still under renovation, ma'am." I smiled cordially. "And with all these soldiers coming home from the East, I don't think we'd fit in there as well anyway."

"Fair, fair." Mrs. Lee replied. "At least this banquet is much better than the last one they gave for the Stardust Campaign. The budgeting must have been done quite excellently this time."

She eyed me knowingly, and so I bowed my head with a flattered smile. "Thank you, Mrs. Lee. I try to do my best always."

"Your brother must be happy with this celebration. Have you heard he ranked up?" Mrs. Feynman remarked. "He's a Corporal now! Please extend my congratulations, dear."

"Thank you, Ma'am." I replied as politely as I could, but my head was saying, at least that's something good that happened ever since he became a soldier. I didn't want to hope anymore that with his new rank he'd be better at helping out me and Mr. Pascal, but I care about my brother- and I have this interminable willingness to have faith in people even if they do not seem to deserve it anymore.

In a moment, a few more musicians joined the band on the platform at the other end of the courtyard, where there was a wide stretch of grass before them. The festive music of the violins and oboes pervaded the area, lacing the evening air with a slower tune that invited couples to the outdoor dance floor.

"Ah, what lovely music." Mrs. Dean commented with her eyes closed, swaying with the strings. "You rented this band, Eden?"

"Yes, madame." I smiled softly. "I'm glad you like it."