Death By a Thousand Cuts - Part II

The tension intensifies in the principal's office as the students anxiously await the unfolding events. Dr. Gaul's gaze is icy, emanating authority and suspicion, while Clemensia maintains an angelic posture.

"Well, let's get to it, the main suspects are Sejanus and Aurora," begins the principal with a serious voice. "We understand that Coriolanus has an alibi in the library and Clemensia has an alibi which is Dr. Gaul. They were together at the time of the graffiti. Now, you two..." he points to Sejanus and Aurora, a questioning look over his glasses. "Have complicated histories, Aurora not so much but Sejanus... We've already talked about this pro-district behavior, haven't we?" The boy was calm, it was usual for him to get into trouble and his parents got him out in the blink of an eye. He wasn't afraid of many things. This behavior made him look even more suspicious.

"We were together, Aurora and I, in the gym during the incident," Coriolanus was confused about why the two would skip class together. He had a strange feeling about the situation. "We both received identical notes, supposedly from each other, but neither of us wrote them. Someone is trying to frame us!"

"Okay, so someone here has a false alibi. Because someone did that. And everyone here seems like they weren't there. Would Dr. Gaul or the librarian lie to me? Or are you students lying?" The principal carried a comical tone. "I think the second option is the most plausible, right? Because in all these decades of work here at this school, this has never happened." Aurora feels a knot forming in her throat, the words of accusation echoing in her mind like an echo of despair. Sejanus remains by her side, an anchor of support amid the storm of uncertainties that unfolds around them.

Coriolanus knew he was in the library and also knew that Dr. Gaul and Clemensia would not graffiti the lockers with such a phrase; they were, above all, supporters of the games. His serious expression betrayed the concern consuming him inside. His eyes met Aurora's, a tumultuous mix of emotions reflecting in the depths of her blue irises. He wondered if Clemensia would set up something like this against Aurora to harm her but found no reason for it to happen. And also, Dr. Gaul tried to kill her, the two being accomplices was out of the question. Aurora was anxious, her fingers moving unconsciously. She knew she was innocent but didn't like situations like this.

"Please, sir, I have nothing to do with this! I would never do something like that!" The principal casts a skeptical look at her, his expression hard and unyielding.

"Right, everything happened very quickly. About 30 minutes at most, the culprit must still have something that compromises him with him. Dr. Gaul, can you help me search their bags?"

The doctor nodded quietly. A few minutes passed and Clemensia said she was feeling ill. Everyone looked at her and noticed that she did not look well at all. Sejanus helped her sit down and the principal offered her a glass of water.

"I'm not used to situations like this, I'm sorry."

With the mood calmed, the search resumed. Everyone in the room was tense until they heard a jingle of metal that Dr. Gaul took from Aurora's bag. It was a bunch of keys, with a keychain bearing the school's crest.

"It's the bunch with the key to the teachers' room," the principal said, surprised.

"This is absurd! Aurora would have no reason to do something like this!" Sejanus exclaims in defense of the girl. Coriolanus watches the scene with a mix of incredulity and confusion, his mind struggling to reconcile the image of Aurora he knew with the accusations hanging over her.

"Principal Highbottom, I swear I'm innocent! You have to believe me!" Aurora was about to faint, it was as if the ground opened up beneath her feet. "I didn't write any note and I didn't even know about the existence of that key, I'm sure it was a setup!" The revelation of the key is like a devastating blow to Aurora, her heart sinking in despair as she realizes the gravity of the situation she finds herself in. Tears threaten to flood her eyes, but she swallows them, determined to face injustice with dignity. Sejanus remains steadfast by Aurora's side, his comforting presence a source of strength amid the storm that envelops them. Principal Highbottom frowns, considering the students' words seriously.

"A trap, you say? And how can we be sure of that?"

"And I never had that key in my possession. Someone put it in my bag to make me look guilty!"

The tension in the room increases as the students' words echo through the space, challenging the accusations that hang over them. Coriolanus was no longer in the room when the principal spoke about what he would do about the matter:

"After careful analysis of the facts presented, it is concluded that the evidence points to your involvement, Sejanus and Aurora, in the graffiti of the teachers' lockers. Although I understand that you may disagree with this assessment, it is my duty as director to apply appropriate disciplinary measures."

He emphasizes his decision firmly, standing firm in his conviction, despite the possibility of error. The students listen to the principal's words with a sense of helplessness and injustice, aware that they are being punished for something they did not do. The feeling of powerlessness is overwhelming, but they silently accept the consequences, resigned to the authority of the principal.

"Therefore, as a disciplinary measure, you will be required to perform 50 hours of community service each, in addition to bearing the full costs of repairing the damage caused by the acts of vandalism. These measures aim not only to punish but also to encourage reflection on the consequences of your actions and promote personal growth."

The principal's words echo in the room, leaving a weight on the shoulders of Sejanus and Aurora. They feel wronged and frustrated, but know they must face the imposed consequences, even if they do not agree with them.