Paired Again

The day had already started well, Aurora was at home on a weekday. She decided she wanted to stay in her old room and eat her mother's omelet again. She just gave up hurrying and went downstairs with her uniform and messy hair. It wasn't like her to be late, so it was okay to arrive a little late just for today.

"Today is going to be a good day! I've decided that," she said to herself with a smile on her face, doing a strange dance.

"Mom, Aurora is doing that thing again. It's scaring me," said Orion, Aurora's 12-year-old brother, with a feigned expression of fear. The girl only responded with her eyes shooting daggers at him and went straight to the kitchen where the irresistible aroma of bacon already filled the air. Not before messing up her brother's curly hair,

"Here, Aurora, I know you'll need to leave early so I've already prepared your omelet and your bread... and your fresh coffee is right here." Her mother seemed happy, which was unusual. She was used to her mother being downcast. "If you want a ride, I'll take you myself."

"What happened?" Aurora inquired, examining the impeccable table in front of her, as if it had come out of a margarine commercial.

"I missed you," her mother replied, wrapping Aurora in a hug.

The girl began to wonder if the family's distance had helped her mother overcome her grief. This occurred when she remembered how much her mother used to say that Aurora reminded her of her father. Feeling her mother that way was comforting, almost like a dream. Her mother was beautiful, and she felt that in recent years the Capital had been sucking all her shine away. That place did that to people.

She accepted the ride because she wanted that moment to last a little longer. They listened to music until school while her mother told funny stories from the last few weeks. That was definitely invigorating.

As she got out of the car, Aurora hurried her steps not to be even later. It was 08:05 when she entered Dr. Gaul's classroom.

"Aurora, great to see you," exclaimed the teacher, gesturing with her hands.

Aurora knew the woman was eccentric and that, somehow, she would put her in embarrassing situations for being late. It was a dynamic that had persisted over the years. Coriolanus was the favorite, and Aurora, the threat. Everyone seemed to believe that she could steal the boy's spot at the university. People in the Capital preferred to attack the opponent rather than better train their own candidate.

Speaking of the boy, she had agreed to meet him on Saturday, but it was still Tuesday, so she wouldn't have to put up with him until then.

"Can you explain the importance of the Hunger Games?" asked Dr. Gaul. Aurora and Sejanus exchanged glances.

"It's a punishment for the districts," Aurora replied, taking her seat.

"You are the daughter of one of the greatest generals the army of Panem has ever had. Your answer is an offense," the teacher retorted, but Aurora remained unshakable. It was as if it wasn't worth debating with her. "Let's draw pairs. Each will write a 3-page essay on 'The Origin of Chaos' and the role of the Capital in preventing the return of that period."

Obviously, fate reserved the name Coriolanus for Aurora. It was as if they were destined, like yin and yang. Together, they headed to the library in silence.

"Okay, if you don't mind, I'll write the essay, and you just check it afterward," suggested Coriolanus, flipping through his notebook. Aurora raised an eyebrow, surprised.

Coriolanus Snow offered to do the work alone? It must be a joke. The same boy she fought with in the 4th grade because, according to him, she should take her studies more seriously and not stare out the window during class? Since she didn't even remember doing that. Aurora wondered why he wanted to write the essay alone. Did he want to get rid of her? Or did he want to please her? Maybe he wanted her to be the evil mother of his evil babies. She did have good genetics, after all.