Chapter Seventeen⋆ ★

Illion

The Marillion engines are on full blast, turning us in a new direction, en route to the planet of Julipar and from there on the asteroid belt. But we won't arrive for another day or so.

The passengers have been informed that we're taking a new route, but I haven't told them why; can't have panic. We need to keep everything in order – a divided ship will never make it.

I've sent the entirety of our guard squadron to floor two, (only a few, and taking them off duty might allow a few fights to break out, but it's a small sacrifice). Here's the plan: seal off the floor and open all the airlocks and decompress for a day.

According to the lab reports, the cybernetics contain biological components, so even if they don't all get sucked out, the lack of oxygen and cold should take care of things.

With a dab of luck, we should make it to Julipar in one piece.

"Captain, the livebroadcast." Lolli-N stands in front of my Captain's seat, holding out a tablet. "The countdown's started. Zyxien arrival at Osticara estimated in thirty minutes."

I take it from her; it's a livestream of the Leaders of Osticara giving their final speeches. "And preparations for the service...?"

"All complete." She mutters, "as per protocol you and your wife are expected to be present."

"And her sister?"

"Her sister will be with the rest."

"No." I set the tablet down. "Her sister will sit with us on the balcony. She's the only family Aurelia will have left. Don't separate them."

Lolli-N sighs but doesn't argue back. "As per protocol the captain and his family will be at the forefront of the balcony in the opera theatre."

"Have a homebot get them." I set the tablet aside, "and send the crew to organise the passengers into the theatre and auditoriums."

Watching the destruction of a planet on live television; it's sick. But what can I do? It's their planet; not mine, and if they want to watch the invasion then I will let them.

Aurelia

As predicted, my phone is flooded with apology texts from Enea, swearing she'll never ever put a guy before me ever again, and that she definitely will go to her shift from now on. Yeah, right.

She even left me a voice mail of her drunk wailing about how pretty I am and how I'm such an amazing sister.

"Enea, pick up." I grumble under my breath as my call goes to voicemail for the third time.

"Shall I call her?" The homebot sent to collect us peeks over my shoulder, "I have access to the passenger database."

"Give me a minute." I press dial again, and this time she picks up, and her piercing voice sounds on the other end.

"Auri! Oh my gods, Auri, it's happening!" She shrieks into my ear, and I have to hold the phone away from my face, "it's horrific! The news have been on all morning and the Zyxien arrived and oh my gods...!"

"Where are you? We have to be in the opera theatre for the livestream memorial."

"Auri, I can't watch it!" I can hear her aggressive sobbing, "can't we just go to the bar instead?"

"Bring a tequila with you or something, but Illion needs us up there soon."

She mumbles something in reply, but I can't make it out; it's just a bunch of muffled wailing through the speaker.