CHAPTER 35: Secrets Out!

VIVA IS ONE!
A large poster backdrop had been set on at one end of the yard with these words in bright blue. Although it was afternoon, the weather was clear, the crowd preventing the sun from pouring down. They’d chosen to celebrate on the lawn so that the few children who had come along with their parents could run around the lawn. Marlise stooped over the baby, guiding her little hand to cut her birthday cake. Her heart swelled with joy as everyone cheered for her baby girl. She couldn't believe Viva had survived one year! A tear ran down her eyes as she watched the faces of those genuinely happy for her. Levi had gone all out with the celebrations, printing t-shirts for all the kid's whose parents had RSVPd. There were bags upon bags of souvenirs waiting for everyone at the end of the party. Doctor Kamara had just told her, let me know whatever you need. That was a blank cheque that made her nervous because she'd not even known what to ask for. She had already been so kind to them as if they were blood related.

***
W

hen everyone had had cake, Marlise sat down to rest while her eyes kept track of her child who hopped from hand to hand, enjoying all the attention.
"Have you seen Levi?" Cherish walked up to her. That was when she noticed that she had not seen him for a while. Even Doctor Kamara was no where to be found. She shrugged. They could be anywhere.
"He's been very quiet these past weeks," Cherish said with a worried look.
"Why won't he be quiet. You tried to sabotage his plans to find his biological mother. You've not even apologised for it because you still pretend to know nothing about it," Marlise said dismissively.
"That's why I want to apologise," she said, looking around. Levi had ignored her until she felt like an insignificant wall flower.
About an hour later, she saw him walk back into the yard followed by Doctor Kamara. Anger and jealousy rose in her belly as she felt like he'd abandoned her once more.
After drinking and eating, the few outsiders who had been invited to celebrate with them had left so it was just left Marlise's family.
"I would like us to have a family meeting," Levi said to Marlise. She rolled her eyes and was about to ask him if they were family.
"You're my child's mother so you're family," he read her mind.
Ma Mado, Cherish and Ma Eli gathered their chairs together.  Mr Mutanda had long left. Levi held a brown envelope in his hand and he could hear their questions abd feel their eyes on him.
"I have something to say but I want to say I'm disappointed that my family doesn't have my back. They have been sitting on a truth I've been searching for all my life," he said, looking from one face to the other.
Cherish shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Her eyes met with Ma Eli and mama and they all looked uncomfortable. Even Marlise felt guilty because she had kept the possible truth from him.
He woke up from his seat and walked towards Doctor Kamara's house and in a few minutes he came back with her.
As soon as Doctor Kamara took her seat, Ma Eli jumped up and started shouting.
"What is she doing here? You said this is only for family!"
"Eli, calm down,"  Mado tugged on her arm until she sat back down, still fuming. Levi ignored her and tore open the brown envelope. He looked at the paper for a few seconds and passed it to Doctor Kamara. She took in a sudden audible breath but said nothing.

***
A few weeks ago, Cherish mistakenly forwarded a message from his phone sent by Bobga, a private investigator.  After leaving Bamenda, he had asked Bob to keep asking around. Because the incident of his birth had happened a long time ago, most people who had been around at that time had either forgotten, died or moved out of town. To make matters worst, the hospital records had been lost when a part of the hospital caught fire because they were not digitised. It had therefore been difficult to get information but Bob continued to ask around. After Doctor Kamara received that text message. She'd asked him to explain clearly so he told her about his complicated family history. She in turn told him about the man she knew as Clement Atanga.

"I have in my hand DNA test results which show that the chance of Doctor Kamara being my mother is 95% percent," He announced.
***
THANKS FOR READING
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT!