CHAPTER ONE: Pick A Side!

"Pick a side! Pick a side Levi! You can't sit on the fence forever!" Marlise screamed her voice bouncing off the walls of the living room.

The room was built with several windows to bring in fresh air but today, felt hot as if the breeze had stopped moving or maybe the situation was making her feel hotter. She wanted to run out just to breathe some fresh air but she stood her ground. She was done being bullied. She was done being used. Levi had to decide today between she and Cherish. She didn't care how they looked at her, they couldn't eat her raw. Nobody was going to crucify her, not even the fiery eyes of Levi's mother or his oldest sister, Kezia and his other sister Belle sitting on the coach.

Tension in the room was so tangible like naked electricuty wires, if someone walked in, they would have been electrocuted. She was barely holding herself as her nerves stood on edge and she trembled with indignation.

"Marlise calm down," Levi said in a strained voice as he struggled to contain his anger. He tugged at his necktie and flung it to the floor. He was still in a blue suit and tie since he had just returned from work when the argument started. It was about 8:30pm and all he wanted to do was have dinner and rest but that was not happening. That was what he got for having a full house. His mother, two sisters and Cherish his fiance had come to spend the weekend in his house. He often wondered the kind of marriage his parents had that his mother was either staying with him or any of his sisters then there were his sisters who were married but wanted to stay anywhere else but in their homes. His weekends were becoming chaotic and everytime, he planned to tell them to stop coming but it seemed easier to just look away. They are family after all but this weekend, they'd come along with, Cherish and incited her to insult Marlise.

"Marlise, no one is picking sides today," He said calmly.

"She's right. you have to pick a side and she knows your obvious choice," Cherish said with arrogant confidence.

Standing there, Levi Mutanda knew he had set the timer for the bomb that had just gone off.

***

Three years ago, he was a happily married man running his businesses when suddenly his wife of 1 year disappeared leaving him with their six months old son, Jay. He didn't want a stranger looking after his child so he called Marlise to help. Marlise, her sister and their mother lived with them when he was young since their mother worked as a maid in their house in Bamenda.

When Marlise answered Levi's call to help him take care of his son, she was excited to show up for him as she'd always done since they were kids. It never crossed her mind that her heart would be so entangled with Levi's that she'll make the worst deal of her life.

"What did you think was going to happen? You will take care of my grandson and then marry my son? It will never happen. Cherish may be your twin sister but she was groomed with class. I groomed her for this position as you can see. Imagine Levi walking into business meetings with your kind on his arm as wife?" Ma Eli spoke with so much disgust.

Elizabeth Mutanda was a formidable woman in size and personality. She was huge and commanded an air or authority and respect such that few people argued with her, not her two older children Kezia and Belle and especially not her youngest, Levi.

As the woman spoke, Marlise could feel the hatred oozing out of her but it made no sense. She and Cherish were twins born in her same compound when their mother was a maid. Why did she choose Cherish and reject her? Why did she feel that she wasn't worthy of Levi her sister was?

Deep worry lines had settled on Levi's forehead and he looked so lost and faraway. Why was he saying nothing?

Yes, Ma Eli had always favoured her sister but it had never crossed her mind that the plan was for Cherish to become Levi's wife.

"What are you waiting for? Nanny, you're fired. Pack your bags and leave!" Ma Eli commanded.

Marlise looked again at Levi, trying to communicate something to him but he wasn't reading her cue.

"Levi. Tell them. Tell them we have a deal going on," She spoke in a more calm tone as if trying to get into his head.

"What deal?. There is nothing you can say to convince him otherwise," Kezia his oldest sister said.

"I know you can never trap my son with pregnancy. You're one of those gullible church girls. If it were Cherish, she'll do whatever it takes but you?" She laughed, clapped her hands and sucked her teeth loudly.

"I asked him to call you when Efeti his wife left. You're the only person who could be so unambitious enough to pause their Master's program to become a nanny. Thank you for your service," Ma Eli scoffed.

The words stung Marlise's heart like a bee. She fought the tears that threatened to gush out. Did Levi know about this?

Levi, Say something please.

She begged within her. They weren't going to feed on her flesh. She would go but Levi would pay for what he had done to her.

As she walked out, her mother's words when she was about to accept Levi's proposal replayed in her head.

"Don't go anywhere Marlise. Those people have brainwashed your sister and now they're about to take advantage of you, " Mado warned.

"Mama, Levi is not like that. When he finds a nanny, I will resume my studies," She'd defended.

"Marlise?" Her mother had called her name.

"Ma," She'd responded, sitting up straight, knowing she was about to be scolded.

"The way you are defending him, don't do something you will regret oh," Mado had cautioned, holding the tip of her ears.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
TO BE CONTINUED...

Yay!

Thanks for reading the first chapter!
What did you think?
Have you met a Levi, that Mama's boy kind?
How do handle families that meddle in your personal business?
♤♤♤♤
Remember to vote and please...pleaze leave your comments