Chapter 11: Negotiations and Privileges

A month had passed since, Cherish visited her mother in law. A month since she and Levi stumbled on Ma Eli talking to a strange person on the phone and which ended in a cold war. Levi wasn't talking to his mother and by extension, her. As she walked into the house, her heart pounded as if she carried stolen items in her pocket. She blamed Levi for this uncomfortable position she had put him in.

"Cherie, I know my mother is hiding something from me," Levi said. Cherish's ears perked up, as she didn't miss the fact that he shortened her name. her back was turned to him as she washed plates in the sink. She didn't miss the fact that he had shortened her name which meant he was really desperate.

"Did you hear me?" Levi asked.

"I heard you but I'm not helping you," She said firmly.

"Please," Levi pleaded. She now turned to face him, wiping her hands on her gown then folding them in defiance.

"You're not sorry Levi. You're just desperate. You'll turn and treat me like trash as soon as I help you" Anger was making her voice rise.

"What do you mean?" Levi asked, confused. 

She suddenly felt powerful because he had entered negotiation mode. 

"You told me you would try to love me but you've made no effort!" She said, not even realising how her voice was cracking and tears forming in her eyes. Ever since they married, she'd hidden her pain under anger and harsh words. This was the first time she was telling him how she really felt. Her pitch was rising as she expressed how badly he had been treating her.

"You know what, find your information yourself. I've had enough," She screamed then let out deep wracking sobs. For the first few seconds he was more surprised that she was crying. She felt his arms come around her but she pushed him away. For the first time, she didn't want his hugs.

"Cherish, I'm...I'm so sorry," He said.
"You're cruel and God will punish you! You made a vow before God!" She yelled and ran out of the kitchen.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you," He called after her.

♡♡♡♡

The murmuring at Watte Pharma was like a swam of bees as Marlise walked into the office that morning. She felt as the department  went into suspicious hush as she walked in. She could feel eyes pierce her skin like tattoos even when she tried to say hi. Few people murmured their responses but others just plain ignored her. She knew their gossip was because a month ago, she had an almost flat belly and today, she was walking in, very pregnant. She'd done her best to look elegant, pulling her natural hair behind to accentuate her face and throwing on a free blue boubou gown. As she walked into the conference room, her  eyes met Miss Ngando. The woman sat on the head of a conference table talking to a few other people sitting on either sides of the table. 

"Good morning everyone, good morning madam," She greeted nervously like a school child who'd come late for work. She quickly took her seat, hoping to steer the attention away from her. She was only in the office because she'd negotiated with Elad.

"I have 3 conditions for you," He'd stated as he helped her out of the hospital gates after she got discharged from the hospital.
She listened keenly.
"One, you will work for only 4 hours a day and if you don't feel up to it, you can stay home," He said.
"But...but my job. I need my allowance, "She protested. Elad looked at her deep in the eyes.

"Marlise,  will give you your full allowance whether you show up in the office or not," he said it so confidently, she bit her bottom lip because tears were forming in her eyes.
"Two, You will let me check up on you. Hopefully, take you out...I mean hospital checkup, you know, " He said and attempted a shy smile as if seeking her permission.
She nodded.
"And lastly, " He paused as if this was hard to ask. 
"You will move in with me and my family," He said quickly.
Her eyes popped open.
"No...its not what you're thinking. I have a large complex with different apartments where my mother and Christina live. I told my mother about you and she's eager to take care of someone,"

He explained, his eyes pleading for her to understand.
Marlise took a moment to observe this man and why he was so bent on taking care of her. She wasn't sure this man loved her because they'd known each other for just a short while. Did he have an ulterior motive for being kind to her?

"Miss Ayah!" She heard her name being called sharply and her mind came back to the meeting. Miss Ngando was watching her like a hawk.
"Did you resume to daydream? I know you have special privileges so you're either with us or you go home! Some of us don't have the luxury of that so we need to work," The woman spat. Marlise could feel the venom seeping in but she took a deep breathe and tried to focus on her team.

♡♡♡♡

As the meeting proceeded,  her phone rang causing everyone to pause and glare at her.
"Excuse me," she muttered standing up from her seat.

"Hi, Sir," She said, acknowledging Elad. She could hear him sigh audibly.
"I thought we agreed to first name basis?" He said.
"I know, but I'm at the office," she said, looking at the others who were watching. Walls had ears and if they heard her calling Elad by his first name, the office would hear it.
"Hmm. What time is it?" He asked.
She looked at her phone and gasped, It was 12:45.
"Miss, you're a little over 4 hours at work" He said lightly.
"I know but we're not done with the meeting," She pleaded.
"Miss Ayah, you don't want me to walk in there and bring you out, do you?" He said. She shook her head fearing the venom from coworkers. She gathered her bag and stood up earning stares from Miss Ngando who had been speaking.
"I'm...I'm boring you miss Ayah?"
"Errm...I have to leave," She said, her eyes dancing with uncertainty. She knew she didn't have to ask permission but the situation was awkward.
"Boss chick my foot!" She heard someone snicker but chose not to turn around.

THANK YOU FOR READING!