Chapter 14: Truth

"So where is Marlise?" Ma Mado demanded as soon as her travelling bags landed on the floor of Levi's living room at 4am. She'd just arrived Yaoundé after Cherish told her that they'd found Marlise. A full week had passed since she encountered her twin at that restaurant and so they'd hatched this plan to invite her mother over and try to get the truth out of her.
"Mama, welcome," Cherish replied, ignoring her mother's question and proceeding to carry her bags to the guestroom.
"We'll talk later mama, rest first," Levi said in an exhausted voice.
"Step two," he said as soon as he got into his bedroom. Taking out his phone, he dialed his mother's number. After the call, he turned off the light. The room became silent except for his breathing that came out audibly as his heartbeat struggled to even out. He was nervous as he wondered how the events of the day would turn out.

By 10am, Cherish woke up and went to the kitchen where the maid was already making breakfast. Normally, she would leave Gaelle to do it and serve them but today she was too nervous to do nothing so she picked up a knife and started peeling potatoes.
"Good morning ma," the maid greeted obediently, lowering her eyes for fear of being scolded.
"Good morning auntie," she heard Jay's voice from down the counter. She'd not even noticed the child so she looked down at him. Their eyes met for a second before he looked away as if her gaze burnt his.
She didn't blame him. She always gave him a hard look especially because he refused to call her mama.
He'd openly told her that the only mama he has is mama Marlise and she's coming back from her long trip. That is the version Levi had told him for him to stop asking after her sister every two seconds.
She invited her mother in law to the table and served the breakfas. As they sat down, the door bell rang and both she and Levi looked at each other then at the door.
Mami Mado gave them an odd look.
"Gaelle, go and open the door then come and pack you and Jay's things and take him to the park," Cherish said.
The maid rushed out and a few minutes later, came back with Levi's mother tow.
Ma Eli entered with an air of pride. She looked around and then her eyes stopped on Mado.
"Oh Mado, you're here?" She said with obvious disdain.
"What is going on here?" Mado frowned at Cherish.
"We have something to tell you. Have breakfast mama," Levi responded, pulling out a chair for her.
"I won't eat!" She said sharply.
"Where's dad?" He asked.
"I asked him but you know how he is? I don't know whether he'll come?" She said, finding her place on the dining table, as if forgetting she'd said she'll not eat. Just then, Gaelle came out of the room, backpack over her shoulder and holding Jay's hand.
"Granma!" The child ran towards Ma Eli. The woman hugged him so tight as if provoking the other woman.
"That's enough!" Levi said getting annoyed with the fake kissing and mushing over a child she barely cared about. Reluctantly, the child detached himself and walked away with the maid. When they finished eating, they went to the sitting area.
"So what do you want to tell us?" Ma Eli asked.
"Maybe she's pregnant?" Ma Mado said to Eli and laughed.
"Would that be news?" Ma Eli agreed and they laughed then started to make jokes about the fact that Cherish should be pregnant by now.
Levi sat crosslegged, arms folded, watching their exchange with annoyance.
"You both have questions to answer," Levi announced, making them to stop talking.
"You will not speak to me like that," Ma Eli started, putting on her mother tone. She tried to stare him down but he maintained his stare, silently challenging her, something he'd never done.
"Tell me about my birth,?" he asked, leaning back and folding his arms. She looked around as if he wasn't talking to her.
"Is that why you brought me here?" she asked.
"Indulge me mama, I'm your only son right? You must have an amazing story surrounding my birth. Afterall, my father really wanted a boy so it must have been a miracle," he said, making his tone lighter.
"Ermm...I was very happy of course. Who would not be?" she stuttered as if wondering if she was saying the right thing.
"Ma Mado, how did you feel when you had your twins?" He turned to the other woman.
"Hmm, God saw my misery and blessed me with two. Me, a poor maid! I was happy," She said.

"See, she even has more enthusiasm than you," Levi said, shaking his head.
"What exactly is your question?" Ma Eli asked.
"Are you my mother?" Levi blurted out, making her eyes to almost pop out of her head.
"How can you ask such a question?" She yelled.
"Just answer!" Levi shouted.
A tear ran down Ma Eli's eyes.
"Why would you doubt me? After everything?" She started sobbing.
"I have a doctor on his way ma. He is coming to take samples to a DNA test," Levi revealed.
Ma Eli cried even louder. Cherish looked as if she was about to disappear from the room.
"This isn't from nowhere. I called in a favour from someone in Bamenda to investigate a suspicion about a missing baby at the hospital I was born in," Levi revealed.
Even Cherish was shocked. When did he do that? They'd been discussing everything leading up to this day.
"A cleaner who has been working there for almost twenty years said there's story of a woman who claims her baby was exchanged after birth," He revealed.
"And you think that what? That I exchanged a baby?" Ma Eli continued to cry.
"How does this concern me?" Ma Mado asked, feeling confident.
"You know about this because I have seen the text messages," Levi watched as her expression changed into that of fear.
Just as he was about to speak, the doorbell rang. Cherish went outside to open and came back with Levi's father behind. Mr. Mutanda looked angry as if his Saturday had been disturbed.
"What is this all about?" he boomed.
"Are you my father?" Levi asked straight, causing the man to frown and start to walk out. He paused when Levi took out a gas lighter from trouser his pocket.
"What is that?" Cherish asked frightened.
"I have opened the gas bottle. We will all die here because this is the only way it can end. These women have been playing a game with our lives that they must explain. In a few minutes, this house will fill with gas," Levi said.
"Levi, this was not the plan. Are you drunk?" She asked, trying to pull the lighter from his hand but he moved away and placed it on the table between them.
She woke up and started to walk towards the kitchen but Levi pulled her hand and forced her to sit.
"You're going nowhere. Or better still, just walk away. You're not involved in all of this," He said sternly.
Everyone was visibly trembling. The only person who didn't look scared was Mr. Mutanda mostly because he masked his expression with anger.

TO BE CONTINUED...

THANK YOU FOR READING

Truth is about to come out!