𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑆𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛: 16 𝑃𝑎𝑟𝑡 4

Well, Austin certainly didn't lie to me about the whole Alisha thing. He actually broke up with her the very next week on Monday and we celebrated the small victory by watching one of our favorite movies together while gorging ourselves on the delectable treat that is chocolate covered strawberries with a big ass bag of watermelon Sour Patch on the side.

We have even got to hang out everyday like we did and have been able to reconstruct the missing parts of our bond.

Now, of course nothing good ever lasts forever because it has currently been 3 months since the breakup and I'm still Alisha's number one target.

Today is my birthday and as thrilled as I am to get home to celebrate, that still doesn't change the fact that I have to get through the grueling school hours first. This leaves an opening for Alisha to ruin my joyful mood and you know she doesn't pass up the opportunity. Which now leads to me crying in the courtyard wishing that there was a way that I could murder her and get away with it.

Good thing I'm not left alone too long to ponder on that as footsteps approach and I can tell by just the sheer presence that it is Austin. Okay and maybe I could tell by his cologne but I don't want to sound creepy or anything.

"I didn't see you at the lunch table and Jasper and Lina told me you might be here. What's wrong Mona?"

He takes a seat next to me on the bench and gives me a caring look as I try and wipe away my tears.

"I want to say nothing but we both know that's not true," I let out a brief chuckle through my tears before continuing, "it was Alisha again."

"What did she say this time? Because if it was more of that bullshit about your appearance I'm going to personally go find her stash of makeup and burn it so she has no more room to talk about appearance. I've been to her house and know she only uses it to make herself look like a filter so she can appear like perfection to everyone else."

"It was sadly so that sounds like a wonderful idea but I wouldn't want you to go to jail now."

We both let out a giggle and I wipe the remaining tears off my skin and fix my hair a bit.

"Do I look alright?"

I look over at him in hopes that if I look like a mess that he'll tell me so I don't embarrass myself.

"Don't worry you always look gorgeous. Just let me get this one thing...." He wipes what's probably a smear of mascara near my eye with the sleeve of his hoodie before smiling.

I feel like a whole cage of butterflies has been let loose in my stomach. His word choice at times seems to leave me weak.

"Thanks.Wouldn't want it to look like I just had a mental breakdown or anything."

He pulls me in for a hug and I return the gesture already starting to feel better. How could I not feel better with his arms around me? It's like magic I swear.

"Now, I have a little surprise for you." He pulls away and rummages through his pockets before pulling out two coupons.

"How would you like to skip the rest of the day and go get some of those fancy milkshakes?"

I feel my face light up at the thought. He's always been so thoughtful and after recent events I'm sure these milkshakes will act as a remedy to cure the plague of sadness I've felt.

"I'd love to go! I could never pass that up."

"Good, I was praying you'd say yes. Can't let these coupons go to waste and all."

I playfully nudge him and we both chuckle contently before we get up.

"Let's grab our things then we can hit the road."

He nods and we both go our separate ways to grab our backpacks. We then meet up by his car, as we both arrived here in it this morning, and hop in.

Music fills our ears as we sing along to all of the hits on Mona and Aussies top chart. I'm numb with happiness as the November leaves fall around us.

————
The milkshake shop isn't extremely far and we make it there after 30 minutes of song-filled driving.

Austin holds the door for me as the bell chimes above it and sweet smells fill our senses. The menu spreads out far and we stand in front of it trying to decide on what we want.

"What do you think you're getting?" Austin whispers as  the debate of what to put in our bodies looms over us.

"Hmm I think I got my eye set on the s'mores one."

"Good choice madam," he says in a a stupid posh accent, "I think I'm going to try the peanut butter and jelly one."

"I'm going to have to take a sip of that."

We then order our sugary concoctions and take a seat. Elvis's song, Return to Sender, starts playing over a jukebox shaped speaker in the corner and Austin starts to sing the tune under his breath. He hadn't told me he liked Elvis before.

"New interest you haven't told me about?"

He snaps out of his song filled daze and shifts his eyes to me after looking out the window for the past few minutes.

"Oh yeah. Back in Colorado I got into his music and I guess his life in general. Forgot to tell ya but yeah, new interest acquired."

"That's nice. Got any facts to share?"

"Many. Ready for a rant?"

I'll always be ready for a rant if it comes from his lips. I don't know if he'll ever know that though.

"Of course. I'm all ears."

We both give each other a smile and before he can start, our milkshakes arrive. We sip and even try each other's drinks as he goes on and on about all the knowledge he has collected over the years.

I've never been interested in Elvis personally but hearing him talk about him so passionately and go over interesting moments in the man's career, I can say with all honestly that I'm getting interested.

This talk goes on longer than we expect and as the time reaches 6:00, we decide it's time to get home so that the cake and presents there won't go to waste and everyone can celebrate.

After these couple years of waiting for him to be present again for my party, it turns out to be one of the best parties ever.

And just like that, 17 is off to a wonderful start all because of him.