Tap Versus Hip Hop

Two months ago I returned from CapeTown. It was an amazing experience and I will definitely audition for more things soon. Last month I turned seven! Mom, Mad, Kenz, and I walked into the ALDC. Abby was sitting at the front desk.

"Hey! How was it?" Abby asked.

"It was great." I smiled.

"That's good. I'll have to hear more about it later. Go get changed." Abby said. The three of us walked to the Dancer's Den and Mom talked to Abby for a bit. We get changed and Abby calls for us in Studio A.

"Come on, girls. Let's go! Move it, move it, move it, let's go! Come on, guys. Come on, everybody." Abby called. I raced Mackenzie into the studio.

"I win." I mumbled. Kenzie gave me a dirty look. Abby went to film her competition show AUDC. I heard its ratings are not as high as Dance Moms, so I think that's the reason Abby requested one of the girls to go. Maddie did end up going, even though the Moms tried not to send anybody.

"So, did you miss me?" Abby asked.

"Yes." We answered. To be completely honest, I would rather continue to be filming right now because the cast was so nice.

"Really?" Abby asked.

"Yes!" This time we really said it enthusiastically.

"Okay. You guys, I missed. I missed all of my students here. However, the moms, not so much. So, while you guys were in the studio– well, some of you– were in the studio practicing, learning, training, I was doing Abby's Dance Competition. All of you had the opportunity to come and see me in L.A. Maddie came out. You worked with the kids, and you performed a new solo. Did you have a good time?" Abby questioned.

"Yes." Maddie shook her head.

"Yes. I'm anxious to get started. I want to see what all you've learned, and I checked the roll books. I know who has been in class, and I know who hasn't been in class. Let's go through the pyramid. We can remember back then. Brooke. Brooke, the faculty here didn't see too much of you while I was away." Abby said, revealing Brooke's photo.

"I was recording a CD, so I was gone all week, too." Brooke answered.

"Paige. Do you feel that you've improved?" Abby asked.

"Yeah, I think my turns have been getting better, because we've had normal classes, so that I've been able to work on them more." Paige responded.

"And next, we have... Kendall. Kendall, do you think you've been improving?" Abby questioned.

"Yes. I have a private with James every week, and he works on my turns, and he says that they're getting much better." Kendall nodded.

"Okay. And... Nia. What about you?" Abby asked.

"I've been taking four extra classes every single week." Nia answered.

"I think that's great. Good for you. Nice to hear that. Next, Melody. You placed third at the last competition and then had a two week break off of dance. Dancing year round, no exceptions. You better have been in that hotel room working on your technique. Besides that, have you improved on your dancing?" Abby said.

"Yes, I was working on some moves in the hotel room. I've also had more classes with Miss Taylor and she said my technique and control has been getting stronger." I answered.

"Good. That's how it should be. Moving up, Mackenzie. Mackenzie, you also didn't win. You let Asia beat you. It's this. And it's that confidence. You let your face go blank. Are you cute? Yes. But you're getting a little too old for cute. And now, Chloe. You had a great performance. You went out onstage, you looked beautiful, your mom was beaming, they announced you as the winner. The scores were not right. You did not win; you were second. Did you dance beautifully? Yes. But you have to work on your technique. And next we have Asia. Now, Asia's not here. Asia will be back in pyramid next week. And on top of the pyramid... Maddie. Congratulations, Maddie. You gave a flawless performance. And when they announced Chloe as the winner, you didn't even flinch. You were thrilled for your classmate. This week, you will be traveling to Syracuse, New York. The competition is In10sity Dance. Now, this week's assignments. Maddie, you will be doing a tap solo. Mackenzie, you will also have a solo this week. You will be doing a straight acrobatic gymnastic routine. This is your last shot before Asia gets back. You will not be performing with the group. Alas, Melody you will not be dancing with the group either. You get the week off and I want you working on your technique. I have one more solo to give out. And due to what happened last time, that solo will go to Chloe. Chloe, you better start concentrating on your hip-hop, because it's hip-hop." Abby announced. I'm not sure this is going to be a fair weekend. Maddie is a phenomenal tapper and Chloe is not the strongest in hard hitting styles like hip-hop.