Chapter Sixteen

BORN TO DIE
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     Tahlia nervously bit her fingernails as she stared out the window. She had the perfect view of the Jedi Temple, which was in flames. The thought of Anakin inside the building made her nauseous.

Please be okay, Ani. Tahlia thought to herself.

There was a big change in the Force, and it wasn't a good change. However, Tahlia wasn't bothered by it because the only thing on her mind was her husband and praying he's somewhere safe. Somewhere far away from the Jedi Temple.

C-3PO approached the distressed woman, Padmé beside him. "The Chancellor's office indicated Master Anakin returned to the Jedi temple. Don't worry. I'm sure he's alright."

As soon the protocol droid walked away, Tahlia bursted into tears, covering her face as she allowed all the tears to slip down her cheeks. Padmé was quick to embrace her, and Tahlia clung onto her friend as the tears continued to pour out.

"I'm sure he's okay, Tahlia." Padmé tried to assure her, rubbing her back. "This stress isn't good for you and your baby."

"I know, I know." Tahlia whispered as she pulled away. "I can't feel him, and it worries me."

Padmé frowned at her friends words, reaching up and wiping away the tears that fell from her eyes.

"There's a speeder docking on the veranda." C-3PO informed the two.

With wide eyes, Tahlia dashed to the veranda, relief rushing through her when she saw Anakin exiting his speeder. She ran to him and they crashed like two spaceships colliding, arms wrapping around each other tightly.

"Are you alright?" Tahlia asked, pulling away from the hug and checking if he had any injuries. Thankfully, he didn't have any.

"I'm fine. I'm fine." He assured her. "I came to see if you and the baby are safe."

"We're okay." She assured him, tilting her head as curiosity filled her gaze. "Ani, what's happening?"

"The Jedi have tried to overthrow the Republic." He told her, not missing the way her face dropped in confusion. "I saw Master Windu attempt to assassinate the Chancellor myself."

Tahlia was shocked at what she was hearing.
She glanced over at Padmé, who looked shocked as well.

"What are you going to do?" Tahlia asked, her gaze falling back on her husband.

Anakin didn't say anything as he released her, turning his back towards her and walking a few steps away. Tahlia just stood there, staring at the back of his head as she waited for him to respond.

"I will not betray the Republic." He finally said, facing her. He walked back to her. "My loyalties lie with the Chancellor, the senate and most importantly with you."

"What about Obi-Wan?" Tahlia asked, the thought of her good friend in danger making her heart pick up pace in her chest.

"I don't know." He murmured. "Many Jedi have been killed. We can only hope that he's remained loyal to the Chancellor."

Fear shot through Tahlia, Anakin immediately sensing it. He placed a hand on the side of her head, stroking her cheek with his thumb.