Chapter Four

BORN TO DIE
CHAPTER FOUR
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Care if I join you?"

Tahlia looked over her shoulder to see Anakin approaching her slowly. Instead of saying anything, she looked back at the blue water in front of her. The sun was shining down on the lake, making the water sparkle and causing Tahlia to be in awe.

Anakin appeared by her side and the pair stood there, staring at the water as neither of them said a word. Anakin was trying to think of something to say to her.

"Where's Padmé?" Tahlia asked, breaking the silence between them.

"Getting some rest." Anakin replied, watching her nod slowly as she never looked away from the water.

"Seems like you two are close." She said without thinking.

"We've known each other for ten years." Anakin told her.

Tahlia didn't respond to him. She just continued to admire the water. Anakin observed her carefully. He sensed something coming from her, and it didn't take long for him to realize it was jealousy.

"I don't like sand." He suddenly said, and Tahlia finally looked away from the water to look at him. "It's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Everything is soft and smooth here."

Tahlia didn't say anything as she looked away from him. Her breath hitched when Anakin's fingers traveled over her soft skin on her wrist. A part of her was telling herself to back away from his touch, but the other part of her was telling her to stay put. Anakin continued to travel his fingers on her skin and Tahlia tried her best to not look at him, her heart pacing in her chest.

She failed.

Tahlia turned her head to look at him, her gaze immediately meeting his. She watched him slowly grin before he started to lean forward. Tahlia knew what he was going to do, but she didn't back away. She wanted it to happen.

Soon enough, his lips were on hers. And Tahlia found herself kissing back.

Anakin couldn't believe that he was kissing the woman he's been so insanely in love with since he first saw her. It all felt like a dream to him.

As for Tahlia, she enjoyed it for the first couple seconds, but she pulled away instantly when she realized how wrong it was. It didn't feel wrong, but it was.

"That shouldn't have happened." Tahlia said and without looking at him, she turned and walked away.

Anakin stood there, a frown plastered on his face.

◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

"Alright, what's going on with you two?" Padmé asked with a frown as the trio sat in a beautiful meadow.

Tahlia glanced over at Anakin, who was already looking at her. They haven't spoken a word to each other since they shared a passionate kiss on the balcony.

Tahlia didn't regret it. She wanted it to happen again, but knew it wasn't right.

"Nothing." Anakin answered as Tahlia looked away from him.

The senator scoffed, not believing him. "I don't believe you. The tension between you two is so strong right now."

"Nothing did happen." Tahlia said, plucking a piece of grass out from the ground.

"I still don't believe you." Padmé replied, shaking her head. She shrugged. "Fine. Don't tell me. But I will make sure I'll hear it from one of you."

Tahlia smiled, which Anakin noticed right away. His gaze was filled with admiration as he stared at her, not listening to a single word Padmé was saying. He was too memorized on the beautiful woman who was sitting between him and Padmé, who didn't fail to notice the way he was looking at Tahlia.

Tahlia arched an eyebrow when Anakin suddenly stood on his feet, dashing across the meadow. She exchanged a look with Padmé before they both stood, following him.

"I want us to be friends, Tahlia." Padmé said softly, gaining the Jedi Knight's attention. "So whatever happened with you and Anakin, don't be afraid to tell me. You don't have to tell me now. Whenever you're ready, you can tell me."

Tahlia smiled at the senator. "I want us to be friends, too."

Tahlia's smile dropped when she saw Anakin was standing on top of a Shaak, attempting to stay balanced. Her and Padmé started laughing at him, but felt quiet when he got flung off the animal.

Worry rushed through Tahlia as she watched him try to get back up, but fell back to the ground.

"Ani?" She called, jogging down the hill with Padmé not far behind. "Ani, are you alright?"

When Tahlia reached him, she dropped to her knees and flipped him onto his back, expecting to see him injured.

But he wasn't.

Anakin started laughing uncontrollably as Tahlia's jaw dropped, realizing she has been tricked by him. She started swatting him in the chest, which only made him laugh even more. Padmé stood by them, a knowing smile plastered on her face.

"You called me Ani." He managed to say in between laughs.

Tahlia froze when she realized he was right. She did call him Ani, which has never happened before.

She squealed in surprise when Anakin latched onto her waist, and they suddenly were rolling down the hill, joyful laughs leaving from them. They eventually came to a stop, Tahlia on top of him while his hands were still latched onto her waist.

Tahlia stared down at him, not bothering to remove herself off him. He looked back up at her with a small cheeky grin on his face.

Padmé cleared her throat, causing them both to look up. Tahlia immediately removed herself off Anakin, wiping the grass off her as Anakin stood on his feet.

"We should get back. It's getting late." Padmé told them.

"Yeah, we should." Tahlia said with a nod, walking away without looking at Anakin.