𝟎𝟏𝟕. 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝

" 𝕲ood morning".

Madeleine looks up from her phone, having spent the night at the lake house and now waiting for breakfast to be prepared, to find Trevor standing right by her position on the couch with a soft smile and a hand extended in her direction.

Only the hand isn't empty and he's clutching a beautiful bouquet of red roses.

He's offering them to her.

She didn't see him or Quinn when she came downstairs and only saw Quinn emerge into the living room two minutes ago with a bouquet of daisies to surprise Cassie on her new job offer.

She'd smiled and went back to her phone.

But now here stands Trevor with flowers for her.

She blinks glancing from him to the fresh red peeking at her through the bouquet netting.

"For me?".

"Yeah".

"Why?".

He shrugs as if this is the most normal thing in the world.

"Just wanted to".

"No".

He frowns, taken aback.

"What?".

She sits up straighter and shakes her head, "No. Keep them or give them to someone else. I'm not taking it".

"I got them for you".

"I don't care".

"Seriously? I'm trying to be your friend".

Madeleine scoffs, "I don't care. You can't just get me flowers and expect me to accept them".

"Can friends not get flowers for each other? It's nothing".

"Not when they have history like ours".

He steps back, brows furrowed as he stares at her while waiting for her to change her mind.

"They're for you. Come on. It's just flowers".

"I don't want those", her voice rises and she can feel everyone else turn their attention to the two of them but she's beyond caring at this point.

He gulps, "Lena—".

"I told you not to call me that!".

Getting to her feet, she wraps her arms around herself and stomps out of the room to go upstairs and grab her things so that she can leave and get away from the madness that Trevor insists on bringing with him.

Why couldn’t he simply stop?

Is it really that difficult to accept that she wants nothing to do with him anymore?

Well, she kind of does but that doesn't matter, not anymore.

Not after everything.

The heart wants what it wants but it is not necessary to indulge in every desire because aren't there only so many desires in the world which don't burn you?

She hears him enter the room behind her, her quick work of stuffing everything in the overnight bag helping her avoid him.

"Maddie", he exhales.

She zips up the bag, slinging it over her shoulder and turns to face him.

"Let me leave".

"Please. Talk to me".

"Talk? To you?", she huffs out a humorless laugh, "There is nothing to say, Trevor".

"I'm trying. I'm really trying. I'm trying to be your friend. I want to be your friend. I missed you so much", he takes a step forward and she steps back instantly to put some distance between them.

He notices her attempt at staying away from him and the realisation hits him terrifyingly as his features twist into resigned pain.

He looks at her as if she's the one who's thrust the dagger in him and twisted it deep, when he himself is the sole bearer of the consequences of his actions.

Her mouth feels dry, throat constricting slowly but she maintains her composure.

You can't break for him again.

"And whose fault is that?", her voice comes out hoarse and she clears her throat.

"I don't . . . if you'd just let me talk. If you'd just talk to me. I want to—", he shakes his head trying to find the right words to say.

But she's not interested in what he has to say so the second she spots the brunette hair behind him she lunges for a lifeline.

"Are you alright?", Cassie interrupts Trevor and he looks back with surprise but Cassie's gaze stays fixed on Madeleine.

"I want to leave. I'll see you at the Barbie screening".

Cassie nods, Trevor glancing at Maddie again now that he's recovered from his initial surprise.

"Please just hear me out, Mad—".

"No".

She walks over to Cassie and his protests begin.

"Please. Maddie. I need to say it. I need you to know. I need to talk to you. Please don't leave—".

"Now, you are going to stay right here", Cassie firmly places her hands on his shoulders to keep him from following Madeleine.

"Cassie, you don't get it. I need to—".

"No. Let her do whatever she wants".

Madeleine descends the stairs, tuning out the argument ensuing between the two friends upstairs and bolts out of the door to get into her car and drive the hell away from him.

***
is everyone reading this a ducks fan or are you bandwagoning a playoff team atm and if yes then which one