𝟎𝟎𝟔. 𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐭

⎯⎯ 𝐣𝐮𝐥𝐲 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

⎯⎯ 𝐣𝐮𝐥𝐲 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

𝕴t's been quite an interesting few hours.

Trevor has been annoying for the most part of it by trying everything he could to deliberately start a conversation with Madeleine.

But she has held steadfast. Because she's having fun.

"You should celebrate fourth of July with us".

Her gaze darts up to Alex's warm stare, a little smile on his face as he looks at her leaning form.

She shrugs.

"I don't know".

"Seriously, it'll be nice. And I'm pretty sure June will actually handcuff Trevor to his bed post if he irritates you".

She laughs, her eyes immediately turning to a very chatty June who's been busy talking to Quinn at the front of the boat.

She goes to look away when her gaze catches on Jack, his face turned so that she's staring at his side profile and his eyes fixed on the girl too busy laughing with Quinn to notice him staring at her.

Luke and Trevor sit beside him completely oblivious to the fact that he is not at all paying attention to them.

A small smile tugs up her lips.

"He's obsessed".

Chuckling, she side glances at Alex who also seems to have noticed his friend's peculiarity.

"They're cute", she admits.

He hums, "Wish they'd just date already".

"You should talk to him".

Alex scoffs, shaking his head.

"He keeps denying it. I don't know what's wrong with him".

Sighing, Maddie gets up on her feet and shuffles towards the back to get a soda from the cooler there.

Happily gripping the can, she steps to make her way to back to the seat next to Alex when the boat tumbles.

The ground beneath her feet shakes aggressively and a yelp escapes her mouth, her balance going awry as she tries to keep herself upright when nearing the other side of the bench she was seated on.

Unfortunately for her, the sudden movement causes her to completely lose her balance and fall back with a shriek.

Right in someone's lap.

It's warm, the body beneath her, the thighs solid and steady even as the people around them gasp in surprise of the boat's unstable mechanism. And the hands that encircle her waist to keep her from toppling over feel familiar in a funny way.

The fingertips rest just above her shorts, their warmth marking her exposed skin in an enigmatic rush of nerves bundling up inside of her.

With her heart in her throat, she glances up at the man whose shoulders she'd been unknowingly digging her nails into.

He looks back at her with a wide blue eyed stare, eyes involuntarily falling to her parted lips.

He gulps as realisation dawns on them both, his palm now lightly moving in an attempt to retreat.

Only it somehow stays stuck to the soft skin of her waist, his hands fit there so well that it's almost like they've finally come home, finally found peace in the alluring touch of her beneath his fingertips.

Snapping out of her daze, Madeleine half jumps and half slides out of his lap and onto the seat beside him.

It seems like she's not the only one who was standing when the boat almost turned upside down because Cole too is clinging to a clearly amused Alex.

At least the focus isn't on her.

"Quinn, why would you let her drive!", Luke breaks the heavy silence.

"Sorry", comes June's small voice from the front as Quinn sighs, "This is why I said no" and pleads her to just sit beside him and not move.

Madeleine though continues staring ahead with her soda can tight between her fingers, the back of her thighs still burning with the feel of his thighs beneath her, a part of her brain murmuring echoes of just how perfect his touch was.

Shut. Up.

She finally turns her head and he quickly looks away, coughing into his fist to hide the light blush tinting his cheeks.

"What?", she scowls.

He shakes his head, sparing her a knowing glance.

"Nothing".

"Well, there's obviously something".

A hollow laugh leaves his lips that she just cannot stop imagining about on her neck, trailing down and down and down and down—

"I just saved you from falling into the lake. Pretty sure I'm not the one you're supposed to be yelling at here".

"You're always the one I should be yelling at".

His eyes twinkle with amusement, "Oh, really?".

"Yes", she grits through her teeth.

A tiny smirk lines his lips and she just knows he's going to say something that'll make her want to push him into the lake.

"Not much has changed then I see".

It's like a bucket of cold water has been unloaded on top of her.

"Not all of us change so quickly", she swallows.

She glares at him with storms in her eyes, the implication clear and understood by the way his throat bobs and he blinks rapidly, the smirk long disappeared.

She doesn't give him a chance to respond, instead stands up and pushes past his legs to go sit on the opposite side.

Far, far away from him.

***
this is fun🕺