Mana core

>>Amber

Hael let out a sigh

"I told you, it's to give you power." My mouth hung open at his words, "The sooner we get this done, the better,"

I couldn't believe my ears.

"Power, power, power!" I got angry, "That's not all there is to life!!" I threw his arm away, "I won't do it!"

My words got Hael rattled, "You can't back off now,"

"We both will die!" I spoke a little louder, "What's the point of doing it, if we both die?!?"

"I won't let you die," He said,

"And then what? You'll die instead of me?"

He shook his head, "I won't die either," He replied calmly, "I'm part human but the other part of me is stronger, I 'won't' die."

"And what if you do?" I replied, "What if it all goes wrong?"

"It won't," That reply should have come from Hael but before he could say it, Helena said it.

I looked at her with a deeper frown, "And why would you say that?"

"Hael will die," She looked at both of us, "Maybe, it's a maybe, he might survive if he's back to his original power but not now." She placed her hand on his cheek, making him visibly flinch. I watched them, but he didn't remove her hand. She closed her eyes for a few seconds, then opened them again, "I'm right," She looked into his eyes, "You haven't recovered fully and you will die if you try to make her eat the mana piece."

Hael grimaced but he didn't argue with her.

Did she use her power to test his ability?

"I have to do it," He said, "If we don't, both of us will be in trouble." He looked at me, moving his face away from her hand, "Especially her, and I won't let that happen." His gaze softened, making my heart skip a beat, "I can't let that happen."

My pupil shook as I continued to stare at him. He wants to do it for me? So I don't get in trouble? That's so sweet-

No wait!!

I wouldn't be in this position if it wasn't for him!

Helena let out a soft sigh, "I said, you won't die, right?", We both looked at her, "I'll help you,"

Her words shocked both of us. Even Hael didn't expect she would say that.

"Why?" He asked, "You have no reason to help me,"

Helena smiled, "I am your aunt, that's reason enough."

Hael's poker face came back, "How will you help us?"

"Elf rulers are connected with their mana core, if I use the power in me to keep this young lady alive, I will be able to keep her alive."

"I will do that myself," Hael replied.

Helena smiled, "Sure, then I'll assist you." She humored him, then turned around, "Follow me. I'll take you somewhere pretty."

Hael and I glanced at each other, then began to follow her as she went up the stairs and disappeared behind a blank point in the wall

***

As Helena led us deeper into the heart of the underground forest, I couldn't help but admire the maze we were walking through. Tiny trees, unlike the ones on the surface, were growing out of the sturdy mud walls.

It was a long way but soon we were at the entrance to the underground sanctuary where the mana core resided. The air grew thick with anticipation, a palpable energy that seemed to hum with ancient power.