Chapter Eleven: The Future Is The Leading Cause Of Death

– 

Date: April 28th, 2026

Time: Very late at night

-

A brown cat awoke and sat up in her bed, surprised by the dream she had just awken to. Or, nightmare; She wasn't quite sure.

Mabel looked beside her to see the dusty orange-brown cat sleeping next to her. She smiled and proceeded to slowly make her way towards the bathroom.

She took a small paper cup by the sink and filled it up with water. She took a sip of it and soon drank it all. She didn't like the dream that she had. It had been about Petey, her old grandson.

Oh, how she adored Petey. She would joke about loving him more than her own son. Of course, she loved the whole family in their own ways. The little family of 3.

She hated to admit it, but she missed it all. It wasn't that she didn't love her current grandchildren- goodness, no. They were absolutely wonderful.

She just missed the past and how it was. She loved Mascot, he was wonderful, and they got along with each other amazingly well. She and his mom were very similar, which Mabel appreciated.

But it still ached her. The two were wonderful together, but that was 20 years ago. She didn't know why, but she couldn't bring herself to not miss her son and the calico being together.

Old habits, she supposed. She knew that she shouldn't think about it. They obviously seemed to have moved on- it was Mabel who needed to let go, too. But she mainly just missed Petey.

Peter and Sydney had told her about why Peter left. The story of Mrs. Lawson. Mabel couldn't believe it.

All those years ago- what was it now, 50? 60? However long it was since high school. They had that fight and went their separate ways. Mabel couldn't believe that her childhood friend would do any of that. 

She wondered what made the white maincoon act like that. She wasn't anything close to evil when they were kittens. She never knew what messed Mrs. Lawson up so badly that she killed her own grandson.

Of course, Peter and Sydney didn't know about her and the calico’s mother. Hopefully, she'll tell them someday.

[  ]: Love, are you alright?

She heard from the bedroom. Mabel stepped out of the bathroom that was combined in their bedroom and walked back to bed.

Mabel: Yes, dear. Just had a dream and went to get a cup of water, that's all

Mabel explained, getting back under the covers. Phillip nodded and layed back down. The two then huddled together for the rest of the night, enjoying the warmth of each other.

-

Date: December 31st, 2026

Time: 7:15 PM

-

There was a small new years party happening. It was being hosted at Molly's house, and anyone was welcome. Currently, Sydney was sitting on a couch in the living room. The Duckhat kittens were chatting with each other, drawing, and asking Sydney the occasional childish question.