Chapter 4: If Only It Were That Simple

Time: 5:54 PM

knock knock knock

Sydney stood up from sitting on the couch next to Sid and went to open the door. Peter was standing on the other side, looking nervous, but that was normal.

Sydney: Sorry for calling late, I was worried, they've never been like this before. I just-

Peter: It's okay, and he didn't hesitate to tell me where the car keys were, [small laugh]

Sydney: Yeah.. I just don't want to seem like I'm overreacting. Well, come on in. Hurry.

They made their way to the living room, where Sid was.

Sydney: Peter's here, would you like me to tell him about it or do you?

Sid just shrugged their shoulders. They couldn't make decisions right now.

Sydney explained it all while Sid just sat there. It was scary, never knowing when you could be in danger or if you currently are in danger.

They were just waiting, waiting for that feeling to come back. That feeling that caused their fight or flight or freeze.

Just waiting.

Sydney put her paw on Sid's shoulder.

Sydney: Peter knows a little about ghosts, so he might be able to help.

Sid nodded, but didn't pay attention to anything. Minutes passed, the two were talking.

Sid: Had I ever talked about an imaginary friend? I'm too scared to go back to my house, but I have something there that might help and get rid of anything.

Sid blurted out, finally realizing everything and getting out of their trance-like state.

Sydney: I don't know? At least not that I remember.

Sydney started pacing in a small circle, thinking.

Sid: Or dead family members, ones who possibly died too soon, but I know for certain it's not that. There’s only your dad, and this is something different.

Sydney stopped pacing for a moment. Her back faced Sid and Peter, it fell silent. There was only the tick of the click, and a very uncomfortable atmosphere.

Peter: What do you mean “only your dad?” Sydney, what do they mean by that?

She muttered something under her breath nervously.

Peter: I'm sorry, what did you say?

Peter turned to the older calico.

Sydney: [quietly, ears falling back] I didn't. Tell them.

Peter: You didn't TELL THEM???

Sydney: I didn't know when was the right time!

Sydney turned to face Peter and continued to yell.