01

ꨄ K Y R A ꨄ

K Y R A

"BYe, sister Grace," I smiled again at the tenth person that exited the church before taking a glance at my wristwatch and then at Mom talking to Pastor Ben's wife.
She was going to see her tomorrow. How long did the conversation have to take? Not like I wasn't used to this routine but my schedule was really tight and a lot of activities had her in it.

I force a smile again to cover up my frustration when the pastor's wife stares at me with a broad grin, I'm guessing Mom told her something about me which is fine, I get that a lot.
Finally, Mom rounds off her conversation with an "Amen," to a farewell prayer and a quick wave.
Soon, we're both seated in the front seat of our car buckling our respective seatbelts.

"That could've gone on for three years," I groan, turning on the car radio.

"Sorry baby but it's not my fault you don't know how to drive," She protests, turning on the ignition and slowly manoeuvring the vehicle away from the church's parking lot.

It's not my fault that the instructor for my driving test had poor hygiene, I just couldn't bear it anymore so I pulled over and vomited on the sidewalk. Now I was twenty-two with no driver's licence but just a mom-chauffeur to save money for a taxi.

I keep rotating the knob of the radio until I approach the perfect spot.

"Yeah,now that's what I'm talking about!" Mom squeals as Kirk Franklin's Revolution comes on.

Seconds later we sing along at the top of our voices letting the song flow through our bodies like electrocuted psychopaths then we stop at Starbucks for two cups of bubble tea, shop for a few things at the supermarket and finally arrive at our perfect little home.

Though a lot of people would argue that home isn't just a place but a feeling and if that was true I'm sure mine's a home.

I never got to see my father so I bonded with my mom, we were so close that most people mistook us for sisters; my brother usually made fun of how Mom duplicated but guess I just got lucky.

"I'll just heat up a few things for dinner, go freshen up," Mom urged.

"Okay," I smile, making my way to my bedroom through our little staircase.

When I arrive, I shut the door behind me and drop my Bible and church journal on my study desk before letting out a sigh after my eyes landed on my packed luggage.

I was ready to leave next week, not fully ready but almost ready. I'm not even gone and I already miss my mom. Adulthood deserves to be executed but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

I could always visit her, at least I don't have to bother learning how to drive a plane.
My phone starts ringing and I pull it from my purse to view the caller ID 'Jeremy', I swipe across the screen and I lay on the bed with the phone next to me.