Chapter 7: The Apple Pie of Anger

..

"I can't believe it," said Yelena. "I don't believe you." But even as she said it, Yelena knew that Gilly wasn't lying. "So this entire time, you weren't trying to be my friend. You were just trying to manipulate me into doing whatever the Dark Wizard Society wanted me to do."

"I do want to be your friend," Gilly protested. "Besides, if I were trying to manipulate you, then I wouldn't have told you about the Society, would I?"

"Maybe not, but still-there's other things that you've been hiding from me," Yelena said accusingly. "The meeting-you already knew that it was going to happen, didn't you? You purposely delayed and made us miss it because I wasn't supposed to be there."

"Fine! You're right, okay? The Great Wizard told me everything ahead of time. He said they would hold the meeting early, and if you woke up before then, to delay you. But I basically just told you what they were talking about at the meeting. At least, the part about you is what they were talking about."

"I still don't believe you," Yelena snapped. "You say that that's all you've been hiding from me, but I know there's more. I knew that I shouldn't have trusted you."

"But-" Gilly protested. "Just give me another chance, Yelena. Please. I wasn't trying to hurt you."

"Well too bad, cause you did," Yelena snapped. She spun around and left the loft.

Yelena was met by Darius in the kitchen. "Here's your next recipe," he said. "Let's hope that you don't blow up the kitchen doing it."

Yelena glanced at the recipe.

"Do I have to do it now?"

"What do you mean?" asked Darius.

"I mean, it's already dinner time, so by the time I finish doing the recipe, it's going to be midnight. So?"

Darius sighed. "Fine. Do it tomorrow, first thing in the morning." He paused. "After breakfast, I suppose."

"Okay, that's fine," Yelena said.

...

The next morning, Yelena took out the recipe card and the book to look them over.

---Apple Pies of Anger

 --Ingredients:

   -three fists flour

   -one fist sugar

   -one egg

   -a pinch of baking soda and baking powder

   -five drops of vanilla extract and three drops of almond extract

   -two Fire Apples, cut into slices

   -one quart of apple cider

   -a dozen drops of caramel sauce

 --Instructions:

   -Mix together two fists of flour with the other dry ingredients. Add the egg, baking soda, and baking powder afterwards.

   -In a separate bowl, crush the slices of two Fire Apples until they are in tiny chips. Pour in the last fist of flour, apple cider and caramel sauce.

   -Line a pie pan with the batter for the crust, and fill to the top with the apple mixture. Make sure to save a little bit of the crust to form a checkered pattern on top.

   -Bake for 30-40 minutes at 250° F.

Yelena looked over the recipe several times. It was on her fourth time that she realized that the Fire Apples were the magical ingredient. Yelena sighed. The recipe looked alright. However, just to be sure, she opened the book to the correct page to see where the recipe had come from.

Aragon's Apple Pie of Anger

It was in 1682 that the baker Woodrow Aragon discovered the Fire Apples. The mysterious, glowing red apples were part of a legend he had heard growing up.

Aragon used the apples to make an Apple Pie that caused immense quarreling among the people of his village. Aragon did mix together flour, sugar, an egg, baking soda, and baking powder for the crust of the pie.

For the filling, he used flour, apple cider, and caramel sauce. He crushed the slices of two Fire Apples for the filling. Then, he continued the recipe as one would with a normal apple pie.

As quickly as she could, Yelena got together all of the ingredients. Indeed, inside of the pantry, there was a jar of Fire Apples. Yelena took two of them and then cut them into slices and crushed them.

The evil apples seemed to radiate a strange glow that made them hard to look at. After she finished the recipe, Yelena looked through the book for the antidote.

Sir Aragon's Calming Chocolate Brownies: 

His Antidote to the Apple Pies of Anger

Once Sir Aragon saw the destruction that his pie caused, he quickly began searching for a way to reverse the spell. He came across the Bejeweled Butterfly-a butterfly known to possess magical powers of calmness and healing.

Using the Bejeweled Butterfly, Sir Aragon made the Calming Chocolate Brownies.

He did mix together flour, sugar, corn starch, baking powder, and eggs. He put in it melted dark chocolate, and added the essence of the Bejeweled Butterfly.

After the villagers ate the brownies, they calmed down, and the fighting ceased.

As quick as she could, Yelena wrote down the recipe and got to work.

---Calming Chocolate Brownies

 --Ingredients:

   -three fists flour

   -two fists sugar

   -two fists corn starch

   -a pinch of baking powder

   -two eggs

   -one quart of melted dark chocolate chips

   -two acorns of the essence of the Bejeweled Butterfly

 --Instructions:

   -Mix together the dry ingredients. Add the eggs.

   -Add the chocolate. Stir well.

   -Add the essence of the Bejeweled Butterfly.

   -Bake for 20-25 minutes at 300° F.

The Bejeweled Butterfly looked like a large, glowing jewel shaped like a butterfly. Floating around it was a misty blue fog. As best as she could, Yelena scooped up two acorns of it and put them in the recipe.

Let's hope that this works, she thought. The brownie smelled delicious, and it took all of Yelena's strength to keep herself from eating it.

..

942 words