Chapter 4: The Depression Doughnuts of Sadness

..

"Alright," said Darius. "I trust that Gilly explained everything to you?" Nervously, Yelena nodded. "Okay," said Darius. "Now listen carefully. You are to make the Depression Doughnuts of Sadness. Here's the recipe card, and here is the book that it came from." He passed forward a small leather-bound book and a recipe card. "The cards were written by another apprentice before we came up with the idea of bringing you here. So they might be a little inaccurate, but you'll be fine."

"Okay," said Yelena. "When do I start?" Darius looked her in the eye. "Now. Ask Gilly if you need any help."

As he walked away, Yelena sighed and looked down at the recipe card.

---Depression Doughnuts of Sadness

--Ingredients:

     -three fists flour

     -one fist sugar

     -a pinch of salt, baking powder, and baking soda

     -two blue hen eggs

     -three acorns

     -Wolf's Blood

--Instructions:

     -Mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.

     -Add in the eggs. Stir well for five minutes.

     -Put in the Wolf's Blood

     -Put batter in a doughnut baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 250° F.

Yelena had no idea what Wolf's Blood was, but she did know that three acorns was way too much. She changed it.

     -three acorns   one acorn, not three

Then, Yelena turned to look at the book. She flipped through it until she found the page with the recipe.

Albatross's Depression Doughnuts of Sadness

It was in 1614 that the evil James Albatross invented the Depression Doughnuts of Sadness to curse the town of Kingsbury. It made the villagers all feel depressed and sad, which resulted in the sound of crying to be heard throughout the village.

James Albatross used this recipe to threaten the villagers into doing his heart's desire. He used the magical ingredient of Wolf's Blood to ensure the success of his recipe.

Albatross did mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and blue hen's eggs. He did add Wolf's Blood to create the magic of the doughnuts.

Yelena gasped in surprise. So this meant that Wolf's Blood was a magical ingredient, and it was what caused the after effects of eating the doughnuts.

"You need any help?" asked a voice.

Yelena yelped and turned around. "Gilly! Don't scare me like that," she said.

"Sorry," said Gilly, sounding more cheerful than apologetic. She leaned over to look at the papers. "Yeesh, this does not look fun."

"Trust me, it isn't," said Yelena.

"I trust you," said Gilly. "So anyways. Do you need help?"

"I think I got it," said Yelena. "But thanks."

"Course!" said Gilly. "Can I watch you instead?" Yelena sighed.

"Fine, but don't get in the way."

"Yippee!"

First, Yelena preheated the oven. Then, she prepared the batter. Next, she greased the pan. In reality, Yelena was just trying to put off using the Wolf's Blood. Eventually, she sighed and turned to Gilly. "Do you know where the pantry is?" 

"Right there!" Gilly pointed out.

Yelena opened the door. And gasped. Because inside, it was filled with orange mason jars, just like the ones at home. Home, thought Yelena wistfully. She shook it off. After searching around, she found the jar that said Wolf's Blood on the label and grabbed it before heading back into the kitchen.

Yelena scooped one acorn of the glittery silver substance out of the jar, then said, "Alright. Here goes nothing" and poured the blood into the batter. Afterwards, since nothing happened, she continued on with the recipe. "I wonder," she said. "Could I make an antidote to these recipes?"

..

591 words