Chapter 5: The Fiery Heart Tarts

..

Yelena bent over the book. Gilly leaned in, too. "Watcha looking for?" she asked. 

"An antidote," Yelena replied. "Aha!"

On the next page, there it was. "Perfect!" she said.

Fiery Heart Tarts:

The Antidote to Albatross's Depression Doughnuts of Sadness

It was in the summer of 1614 that the good wizard Sir Berenger stumbled upon the town of Kingsbury. The villagers had been cursed by the Depression Doughnuts of Sadness, made by the infamous James Albatross.

To cure the poor people, Sir Berenger created the Fiery Heart Tarts: delicious tarts that were used to stop the effects of the Depression Doughnuts of Sadness.

Sir Berenger did mix together flour, sugar, eggs, and salt for the crust of the tart. To make the filling, he

did add flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, an egg, and vanilla extract. To activate the magic, he added Mother's Love to the filling.

Upon feeding the tarts to the villagers, the people were taken out of their depression and filled with happiness once more.

After looking over it, Yelena knew what she had to do. "I'm going to make it. The antidote," she said to a very confused Gilly. "I'm going to do it for all of the recipes, so that there will be a way to stop them." 

"Smart plan," said Gilly. "Hide it in the loft, since no one ever looks there. Except for us, of course."

Yelena smiled. After reading the page one more time, she wrote the antidote recipe on a blank recipe card.

----Fiery Heart Tarts

---Ingredients:

--For the crust:

     -three fists flour

     -two fists sugar

     -two eggs

     -a pinch of salt

--For the filling:

     -two fists flour

     -one fist sugar

     -a pinch of salt and baking soda

     -one egg

     -three drops of vanilla extract

     -? of Mother's Love

--Instructions:

     -Mix all the ingredients for the crust together except for the eggs. Put the eggs in after.

     -Mix together the filling ingredients minus the Mother's Love. Put that in after.

     -Bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 250° F.

As quickly as she could, Yelena assembled the recipe with the help of Gilly. After thoroughly looking in the pantry, she found the Mother's Love. It was a misty, warm pink substance.

Unsure of how much to put, Yelena just poured in about half of the jar, then put it away and finished the recipe.

At the end of the day, the girls were both exhausted but thoroughly pleased with themselves and their work.

..

405 words