present day

"You're like a chubby little hamster when you sleep, you know?" Was the very first thing Hyeri said after Soonyoung opened his eyes.

"Yes, Hyeri, you make sure to remind me that I look more like a hamster than a tiger every time I sleep over at your place. And, like each time, my answer remains the same; shut up," Soonyoung said, after sitting up straight and stretching.

"Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah, I guess so, the tablet helped. Though I still feel feverish."

"Hyeri, can you please trust me and listen to me this one time? Come with me to my house, stay there for a while. The doctor said that you need to stay away from stressful environments. It'll be better for you as well," Soonyoung said, holding Hyeri's hand.

"Soonie. . . I—I can't. I can't leave him alone. He needs someone to look after him."

"Ri, you need to stop caring about him so much, and start caring about yourself for once."

"You know what he's capable of, Soonie, you know what he'll do to me if I don't go back."

"I'll protect you Hyeri, I swear, I won't let him lay another finger on you. Just, please, come and stay with me for some time. Till you're recovered. Please."

Hyeri stayed quiet for some time before speaking up again. "I'm scared, Soonie. . . I don't know why, but I have a horrible feeling of dread."

Soonyoung immediately pulled her into a hug when he heard her quivering voice. "Nothing will happen to you, Hyeri. You're fine, you will be fine. I'm gonna stay by your side, and protect you, okay? Nothing will harm you while you're with me. I promise."

Hyeri nodded her head against his shoulder, trying to suppress the pain she didn't know why she was feeling. She trusted Soonyoung. He wouldn't do anything to harm her.

"Did Seokmin leave?"

"Did someone call me?" Seokmin said, entering the room with a flourish, bowing down dramatically. Everyone burst into laughter at his timing.

"I did!" Hyeri giggled.

Soonyoung smiled fondly, internally thanking Seokmin for lightening the mood. "Okay, I'll send in a nurse to help you get ready, while I fill in the discharge papers and pay the bill."

They both nodded, and he walked out of the room, towards the hospital counter. After paying the bill, he ran into the doctor from yesterday.

"Oh, doctor!"

"Good morning, sir. Is your friend getting discharged today itself?"

"Yes, and we're taking her to our house for a few weeks."

"That's good, I think she'll need some time away from her husband."

"Anything else I should know, doctor?"

"Make sure she eats healthy food, stays hydrated and takes lots of bed-rest. Absolutely no unnecessary movement and stress for her. Tell her to avoid all types of sexual activities for at least three weeks. Keep her mind off of the miscarriage, and try to keep her mood uplifted. Support and care for her whenever she needs it."

"That's. . . a lot to take in, doctor."

"Do you want a list?"

"Ah, no, that won't be needed, I'll do my best, doctor."

"Anytime she feels any sort of discomfort, bring her straight to the hospital, do not use any sort of medication or home remedies without consultation."

"Got it, thank you so much doctor."

He walked back into the room to see Hyeri chatting cheerfully with Seokmin. He once again felt extremely glad to have such an amazing and sweet friend like Seokmin. That man could lift anyone's spirits, just by being with them.

"How are you feeling now, Hyeri?" Soonyoung asked.

"I'm fine, honestly. I don't know why everyone's been giving me such looks of pity and whatnot. My head wound isn't that bad, so I feel fine."

Seokmin cringed beside her, but tried to hide it. If only she knew why she was recipient of those pitiful gazes.

"That—that's great, Hyeri. It's good that you feel well. Are you ready to go?"

"Yep, all ready!"

Before they left, a nurse came in and gave her a packet of tablets, telling her to eat one immediately, and to eat the others any time she felt nauseous. Hyeri nodded, obediently gulping down one pill, before walking out of the room, and hospital, hands tightly held by Soonyoung and Seokmin.

She felt so safe walking in between them, as if nothing, not even Seungcheol, could hurt her when she was with them.

Seokmin drove them back home, and Soonyoung sat in the front, leaving the entire backseat for Hyeri, which was fine with her.

"Is everyone living with you guys?" The question was vague and sudden, but Soonyoung knew what she meant.

"Yes, we all live in the same apartment complex. But right now, Junhui and Minghao are in their hometowns, and Seungkwan, that overachiever, had to travel once again for work. Wonwoo also went to his hometown a few days ago, to attend his mother's death anniversary. You'll get to meet the rest of them though."

Hyeri stayed quiet at that piece of information, not knowing how to feel. She didn't know if she should feel happy and elated at meeting with the people who were once upon a time her close friends, or feel scared to face them again after so long.

It was just a little over a year ago she last met them, but so much had happened since then, and she was honestly embarrassed to see them again because she knew that they also knew about the abuse, to an extent.

She didn't want their pity and sympathy.

The car remained silent for the rest of the ride, but Hyeri didn't miss the urgent exchange of looks between the men in the front of the car. She didn't pry though. She was feeling a little sleepy, and Seokmin's smooth driving wasn't helping her drowsiness.

They soon reached the apartment complex, and Soonyoung helped her out of the car, and held her hand with a tightness that implied he had zero intention of letting go anytime soon. Hyeri didn't mind.

The moment the elevator opened on the thirteenth floor was when Hyeri began feeling extremely nervous. Soonyoung must've been able to sense her nervousness, because he just held her hand tighter, after giving it a comforting a squeeze.

"I'm here with you," he muttered, "you'll be fine."

xx

oooo it's the 17th chapter, I felt like this shouldve been something special cause seventeen but 🥹

[ May, 2023 ]