27: On the Threshold

Chapter 27: On the Threshold

Lee Clarke, November 28th, 1949, Crescent City

7:20 am

"We used to drive here for breakfast every couple of months, didn't we, Lee? It's been a long time though, since we've come."

Helen was chattier than normal. It was an unusual situation, which typically made her more quiet and go inside herself, but today she was like a sunny day, compared to the gloomy November drizzle surrounding us.

"We're almost there. Slow down, Richard. I want to see the carvings carefully. Miriam would like to see them as well, and Eddy. I'm not sure about Miles. Miles? How do you feel about viewing a variety of bears carved out of redwood stumps?"

The car erupted in laughter, making Helen flinch. I can tell because she's sitting on my lap. Six of us in Richard's car are a tight squeeze. Miriam is on the far side of the backseat with us, Eddy squashed in the middle But she doesn't seem very bothered. She keeps leaning forward to look out of the broad windshield up front.

"Well, Helen, I have no opinion at present, but am delighted to meet their acquaintance. Not that I can see anything through this sodding rain." Miles tried to peer through the  passenger window. "Does it ever stop raining?"

"No," Helen, Richard and I said at the same moment.

"Blast," Miles sighed, putting one foot up on the dashboard. "You weren't exaggerating, Richard. It's like Noah's flood. I should have trusted you. You're not one for spreading tales. No wonder you and Lee were best friends growing up. Both of you, so quiet and honest."

I cleared my throat and Helen adjusted on my lap, both of us unable to decide if this was an example of British deadpan sarcasm or if Miles was sincere.

I caught Richard looking back through the rearview mirror. Face slack, gaze distant.

"It must have been hard for you both, shy boys that you are. Lee at his new school, Richard in a new country. This fellow," Miles elbowed Richard who ignored him, driving down the wet highway through a tunnel of trees. "First three months, the other boys and I weren't sure if he knew how to speak. It was only when I invited him home to London for a long weekend that I realized  Americans spoke English after all."

Again, neither of the Bailey sisters rolled their eyes or snorted.

"I'm sorry. Miles, who are you talking about? Stop, Lee, that's annoying." she brushed away my fingers that pinched her side.

"He's talking about Richard," Eddy said, thankfully without any trace of annoyance.

"Richard who?"

I pinched her again

"What, Lee? Stop."

"They mean your brother, Richard."

It was her turn to snort. "Nooo, Miles said the boy he was talking about was shy and quiet."

Miriam looked puzzled, opened her mouth to speak, but Eddy interrupted her.

"When he came to our house in London, he told stories about trees taller than buildings and forests so untouched that you might be the first person to see them. I dreamed about it, and finally asked if he'd take us to go see them, it sounded so exciting and magical. Our father said, right then and there at the table that the only way he'd allow me to go was if I was married. Richard shocked everyone! Quiet Richard Pomroy proposed to me right there and then." Eddy pealed laughter, loud in the small car.