19: Family Business

Kelly Rossi, February 10th, 1947, Modoc County6:45 am

I didn't want to get up.

"You have to shower."

"Nope."

"You kind of stink."

"You like me stinky." I whispered in his ear.

He doesn't giggle, Lee. But he smiled at me, his happy, free, uncomplicated smile.

"See, that's exactly why I don't want to get out of bed."

I cuddled closer, burying my nose in his hair. Throwing my leg over his hip.

He moved his head back and looked up at me. Hazel eyes. I kissed him between his eyebrows. Then on his nose.

He rolled his eyes, but that smile was still sitting right there below his cute nose.

"We have to get going. Bed checks are not that long from now."

"Shhhhhh..., I can't hear you."

"Kelly...."

"Lee....."

"Come on, we really have to get up."

I sighed as he broke free of our little blanket cocoon.

Only to find Glen, Carl, Joey, Lewis and Wes literally surrounding our bed, sharing a moment of hilarity.

At our expense.

"You guys are so corny." Carl huffed.

"You want me to talk to you that way, just admit it." Joey laughed, putting his friend in a headlock.

"Fuck no, asshole! Don't you fucking dare!"

They chased each other to the bathroom, screeching and shoving each other as they went.

"They're almost as cute as you guys," Glen smirked. "Ahhhh...the fresh dew of young love."

"It's so nice that Mommy and Daddy get along now. Makes for a happy home." Lewis sighed dramatically, and Wes pushed him over and started tickling him. Making Lewis giggle in the most unpretentious way, sounding like his real age for once. He's changed, thanks to Lee but mostly thanks to Wes. With Wes, he let down his formidable shields and just tried to be happy.

Like me.

I don't care how much they make fun of us. I really don't. If I get to wake up with Lee every fucking morning, and go to sleep every fucking night, warm and close and happy.... I definitely don't mind if it comes with a little teasing.

Donny came out of the bathroom, holding Herman's hand. Both of them climbed up onto our bed and under the blankets.

"We can still go back to sleep for a little bit." Donny argued when Lee tried to push him to sit up. "Herman's dry. Let's sleep."

"Ten minutes." Glen smiled. "I'll wake you all up in ten minutes. We have time."

I lay back down, tucking the blankets back around the four of us. Herman nestled against my chest. Donny's long legs kicking my knees. He's growing. He's getting so big. We could only guess the littles' ages. Donny might be eleven now, for all we know. Heck, he might even be twelve. He's rangy and foul mouthed, but innocent for all that. It's hard to tell.

The kid made a happy sound as Lee finger-combed Donny's long brown hair. Mr. Campbell wanted to cut it, it was almost past his shoulders. Donny refused vehemently and Lee convinced our principal to give up. And let Donny have a little control over his own body and own decisions.