𝟮.𝟬𝟲. what was left behind

────────────

────────────

    April's funereal was held on the coldest day of February. Even the dark and heavy clouds attended the event, threatening with rain.

Dick came on time, which he soon discovered wasn't on time at all. There had already been a mass of people filling the graveyard's space. Relatives, Dick presumed as he eyed every one of them. Forced to stand in the back and not having the guts to come closer to the coffin, he kept to the sidelines. He was the random stranger lingering next to a willow tree, or at least that's how everyone probably saw him.

April's mother, having flown all the way from Zurich, barely made it in time. She was the same height as April. Her hair was the same color if April hadn't dyed hers. If Dick squinted enough, the way she rushed through people reminded him of how April walked around the hospital—so quickly and erratically that he had to try and predict her next moves.

    She smiled somberly to everyone except her ex-husband, April's father. Even though they sat right next to each other, the two of them couldn't seem more apart.

    There were bodyguards practically everywhere, along with some sneaky paparazzi that got kicked out quickly. This was the funereal, yes, but in about a year April's body would be transported to the Hakaris' home village back in Japan, where every member of the family would eventually be laid to rest.

    The ceremony lasted only a few seconds, or at least that's how Dick felt. Too short. The same as April's life, it seemed, and he didn't feel it did much justice. But then again nothing did much justice these days, didn't it?

    He could, Dick thought briefly, Maybe Robin could do some justice.

    "Yo, Grayson." He heard a familiar voice emerging from the crowd that began to slowly leave the funereal.

    Luce Agran. Dick knew his name—it was on top of the high security risk list the Devon police had made. Even though Luce was not technically ever convicted, the officers liked to keep an eye on him; Check if he wasn't being contacted by his father.

    He never was. Luce was clean as a tear.

    "You have some nerve showing up," he said to Dick, keeping his distance.

    Grayson grimaced and let his gaze down, knowing that he had nothing valuable to say. Nothing would be enough.

    "If I had known—"