𝟭.𝟬𝟵. no escape

────────────

────────────

    After a few long days of hanging out in an empty ER, a biking accident had graced April's shift with almost eight injured. Being one of the few residents on duty(or awake) at that time, she was pleased to hear she could scrub in as fast as possible. In that day alone, she had scored two surgeries. Although she felt rather high from the adrenaline, April couldn't help but also feel the paranoia whenever her eye as much as ticked uncontrollably. If she had only scrunched her nose weirdly or peeled a banana in a hurry, she worried if it was considered unusual behavior enough for someone to actually kill her.

    Even worse, Dr. Verber had acquired a puppy of sorts, or so it seemed, as Fred out of all people wouldn't leave his side. Apeil actively tried to steer clear of both their gazes, but sometimes would catch eye contact with Fred. He wouldn't let go. Ever. If she stared long enough, April could swear she could feel her eyes burning alive.

    She was on her way out of the hospital, practically beaming to get to get out at last, when Dr. Obbs approached her. Him and April had worked earlier that day on the valve replacement, which had went rather smoothly. "Rushing away so soon? I heard there's illegal car races tonight, might be a score in the ER," he said. "What so you say? Care to see more guts today, Dr. Yang?"

    April pursed her lips. "Unfortunately, no..." Halting her walk to freedom, she looked at the attending. "Thank you for the opportunity, though,"

    "Really?" he asked. "I mean... I get it. Who isn't exhausted after an eighteen-hour shift, right?"

    April laughed softly, scratching her forehead. "Yeah—It wasn't so bad. I just have to get somewhere..."

    Obbs leaned back on the wall and sighed heavily, looking at April as if he was searching for something else. "Right, right..." he traced off. "I rarely take interns along for my surgeries, Dr. Yang. I find it difficult—you're all jittery and too stressed for your own good, but I had a good feeling this morning. You were focused like I wasn't even there, and that's something I can appreciate," he said. "So I sincerely hope that your personal relationships won't get in the way of your career."

Feeling as if she was already red as a tomato, April tried to hide her face by looking around nervously. "Sir, I—"

"Now, now, you and me both know you can't escape the nurse gossip. And you, Yang, have been the talk of the week..."

Huh?

"What, uh— What do you mean, sir?" April tried to act nonchalant despite being well aware that what she was feeling was far from that.