𝟭.𝟭𝟯. the last supper

────────────

────────────

    It was over.

    Three days ago April had killed a man—the man—who supposedly was the mastermind behind the human trafficking operation in the northern States. He wasn't identified yet, but Devon's police made it their priority to do so(if that even meant anything).

    Two days ago April had gotten the message that she was welcome back in the hospital. Verber's licence was taken away from him, and he himself was arrested for accessory to murder. The mayor of Devon issued a statement concerning the affair, urging the citizens to be in awe of the police work. April could finally lock her apartment's door behind her and sleep semi-peacefully, if not for the voice in her head. Dick was too busy at the precinct to stop by, but he'd text.

    there's actually not a lot going on in the real world, April wrote as she laid on her bed and realised that there was nothing to occupy her mind now.

    Thatcant be true, Dick argued. He typed carelessly when he was working, and often times April would have to take a second to decode the messages.

    but it is, i think my gateway to reenter society are the elderly parties

    ?

    luce throws parties for the elderly at zola's, i think i mentioned it

    Ho's luce! [] *?

    a friend

    Dick took his time with the response, I'll be there

    And he really was. A day ago Dick arrived late to the party. It was louder than he had expected, and far more lively at that. There was folk music buzzing through the bar; the tables were stacked in one corner and a stage was put in the center. Dick guessed that the bunch sitting behind the bar were the people that appreciated the free beer the most. There were the avid dancers, of course, the drinkers, the bystanders, the clappers, and the screamers.

play "Milosny Opetaniec" on spotify

    "She's over there," a short woman appeared right next to him, and then kept on whistling to the rhythm of the music. "Go on, you're disrupting the flow." Dick had no idea what she was referring to, but he didn't wish to find out what would happen if he had continued to disrupt the flow.

    The deeper into the dancing circle the more people there were, not all of them necessarily elderly. The lights were violently flashing hues of orange and red, and as Dick struggled through the crowd, he saw April in the distance. At least he thought he saw her, because once the lights would go off seconds at a time, she'd sometimes blend in with the crowd into one lively organism. April was right where the older woman had pointed to. She was wearing a brown sundress, one that was made out of thick satin and synced with the way her body moved. Her hair was reflective of the lighting, making her seem like the center of the universe. Like everything was just for her.

    Dick wanted to go to her, but was soon swept off in the direction of the dancing. He had no idea who was holding his hands, as he bothered not to look in front of him. His head was tilted, searching for April and scanning for an opportunity to get there. She was the reason he was there. After weeks of having her around non-stop, he couldn't just let her go. April was his anchor, surprisingly, as she would say the same about him if asked. She was the adrenaline rush. She was the maybe. She was the what's next, and now especially that there was no more danger.

    He danced along to the violent music up until a man bumped into him and he had the chance to leave the circle.

    April had been there since the start, which already was two hours ago. She desperately needed a break, which was hard to get due to the men being overly interested in having her as a partner. April was having a lot of fun for a person that had just shot a man days prior, but she couldn't complain. She was getting back to her regular self, only feeling as if something new was missing.

    She broke out at last. Stumbling away from the dance formation seemed like running away from certain death. She was waving at someone in the back when she was gently pulled by a shoulder; a light tag that felt like splashing cold water on her face.

    "You seem to be having fun," Luce said, smiling. "Ghosting me much?"

    April's face radiated before, now she was just happy. Luce was not who she wanted it to be. "I'm sorry," she admitted. "It's been a mess, it feels like only today I'm going back to normal."

    He nodded. "It's cool." But it was not cool. "So what's up?"

    "Not much now," she lied, wanting to end the conversation as soon as possible. It was supposed to be a no attachment thing, after all. "You?"

    "I was thinking—"

    "April,"

    Now she was radiating. Luce must've noticed, as his jaw clenched in silent frustration.

    "Dick!" she turned around. "You made it,"

    April was already somehow closer to Dick than she had been to Luce. "I didn't want to be this late, though."

    "Doesn't matter," she said lightly. "Dick, this is Luce—Luce, Dick."

    Both of them shook hands, Luce not failing to stare Dick down.

    Before things could get more awkward, Dick cleared his throat. "Can I talk to you?" he asked.

    April nodded, gave Luce a short smile and followed Dick outside. It was cold, but she was so overheated that she didn't feel it. Dick gave her his jacket nevertheless, knowing that she could get a cold either way.

    "I didn't know the elderly could party like that," he noted.

    "Yeah, well," April mused as she looked inside through the window. "They have the spirit. They sometimes lack in skill, which is why I'm going to be crippling tomorrow."

    April smiled as Dick laughed. They were forced to stand squished under a little roof if they didn't want to get drenched in the rain.

    "April?"

    "Mhm?"

    "I'm going to pick you up tomorrow at eight," he said. "Is that okay?"

    She thought for a second.

    "I think it's acceptable,"

    As the two of them would soon find out, tomorrow would be a strange day. Today April didn't hear the voices anymore.

    Today, April would die.