Kairosclerosis

Kairosclerosis
(n.) The moment when you realise you are happy

In the soft glow of the night, Nirvan 's heart raced as he stole glances at Kaia, his every thought consumed by her. He longed to bridge the silence between them with words that would ignite a spark, yet uncertainty held him back.

With a deep breath, he finally summoned the courage to clear his throat, hoping to draw Kaia's gaze away from the mesmerizing city lights outside. But as his words faltered in the air, her attention remained fixed on the world beyond the window

Doubt crept in, whispering insecurities into Nirvan's mind.
Was she upset?
Was he the cause?
His heart sank at the thought of making her uncomfortable, a pang of regret tinged with longing.

Desperate to break the silence, he attempted once more to capture her attention, but his efforts seemed futile. Self-doubt gnawed at him, echoing his inner fears.

"Khaana kaafi bura tha nahi? (The food was pretty bad wasn't it?)" Nirvan's words betrayed the truth. Despite the delectable flavors lingering on his palate, he was concerned about Kaia not eating anything

"It was fine," Kaia replied softly, her eyes finally meeting his, revealing a depth of emotion that stirred Nirvan's soul.

"Mind if we stop for ice cream?" Nirvan spoke hesitantly not sure what to expect

Kaia lightly shook her head
'What is he trying to do?' His sudden attention made Kaia squirmy

"Here" Nirvan hesitantly gave Kaia her choice of ice cream

"Thank you" Kaia said with a small smile

An awkward silence prevailed as they both indulged in the sweet treat. Nirvan internally struggled to find the right words to say sorry for not being around. The professional accomplishments he gathered earlier this morning suddenly seemed unnecessary as he saw his wife so distant from himself.

"You have a wife at home who I am afraid will soon completely forget about you" Nirvan recalled his mother's words

'Sorry, I couldn't be home as much'
'How have you been?'
'Are you mad at me?'
'I was really busy'
'Also I was investigating your family'
'You can't say that to her..you imbecile '

"So, how is the ice cream?" Nirvan asked after contemplating his options

"It's..fine" she replied softly her tone lacking any warmth

"I have something to say to you" Nirvan turned to look at Kaia and yet again his mind clouded with how beautiful she is.

'Her face does this weird thing, it kind of draws you in. Her bright animated eyes which have no light whatsoever, her puffy cheeks with a hint of red, her sharp chin which gives her face which is devoid of any contour some definition pulls you closer to her.'

Nirvan cautiously cleared his throat as Kaia turned to him

"Thank you"
Kaia raised her arched eyebrow

"Remember how you told me marketing was our weakness"
Kaia nodded softly

"Well I took care of it and we got the sales reports today and we are at the top"

'He listened to me'
Kaia suddenly felt noticed and a genuine smile formed on her lips

"Congratulations"

"All thanks to you"

"Um I want to work for the company" Kaia's heart raced as she worked up the courage to ask for what she really wanted

"You do?"

"Yes..will it be a problem?" Kaia said fidgeting with her fingers

Nirvan shook his head "I will be more than happy to welcome you " He said with a scintillating smile
.
.
.

Rajiv glanced up from his pile of papers, irritation evident in his voice. "Why are you still awake,Nandini?" he asked, his tone nonchalant as Nandini continued taking long strides across the room

"Nandini !" He half-shouted, frustration creeping into his voice. "Why are you awake?" he repeated as Nandini halted her movements across the room.

"I'm waiting for Nirvan and Kaia . I really hope it went well today," Nandini replied, her tone hopeful.

"You have too much unnecessary time on your hands. Be of some use," Rajiv snapped, his impatience clear. To him, his marriage with Nandini was merely a strategic move in a game of chess, nothing more.

Nandini didn't bother to react; she was accustomed to Rajiv's rude and bossy demeanor. "Just continue whatever you're doing," she replied calmly, though disapprovingly.

Rajiv repeated himself, his tone more demanding. "Be of some use."

"What do you want?" Nandini asked, her patience wearing thin.

Take a look at the balance sheet. It's not adding up," Rajiv instructed, his concern evident.

"What?" Gloria started, surprised by the sudden request. "But Sandeep has never—"

"Made any mistakes, I know. That's why I'm concerned," Rajiv interrupted, his expression serious.

Nirvan stepped through the main door, curiosity lacing his words. "Why are you guys still awake?"

Nandini's excitement was palpable as she inquired, "How was it? How was the party?"

"Fine," Nirvan replied, his response lacking enthusiasm.

"I was asking Kaia," Nandini redirected, her focus shifting.

"Good! It was good," Kaia responded, a hint of hesitation in her voice.

"Is that right? You two enjoyed yourselves, right?" Nandini  pressed, her gaze fixed on Eve.

"Yes, we did," Kaia affirmed with a bright smile, capturing Nirvan's attention. "We also got ice cream; it was really nice," she added, her smile infectious.

Nirvan couldn't help but smile, feeling a sense of warmth at Nirvan's response.

Rajiv's hoarse voice cut through the room, gaining everyone's attention. "Are you people done? I'm trying to work here. Nirvan, I want you to work the math out."

"Now?" Nirvan questioned.

"Do you have something better to do?" Rajiv retorted. Nirvan quietly moved past Nandini and took a seat next to Rajiv.

"You go and change," Nandini instructed Kaia as she glanced at Nirvan.

"Good night." Without waiting for a response, Nandini followed Kaia out of the room.

Kaia looked back at Nirvan, noticing his tired expression.
'He yawned at least a hundred times in the car. Couldn't he work tomorrow?'

"Kaia, I wanted to talk to you about something," Nandini said softly as they reached her room.

"Sure," Kaia replied.

"Would you mind cooking dinner tomorrow?"

"Me?"

"Do you mind? It's kind of a tradition in our family. It's okay if you don't want to."

"No, it's okay. I'll do it."

"Thank you, darling. Sleep well." Nandini patted Eve lightly on her shoulder before leaving, as if reassuring her that everything was alright.

After ages, Kaia felt strangely calm, as if she had reached her destination. "I am happy somehow... today felt good, I felt good, I felt complete... probably with him."