Anuptaphobia

Anuptaphobia
(The fear of marrying the wrong person)

In the heart of bustling Mumbai , amidst the towering skyscrapers and the hustle of urban life, a somber atmosphere permeated the lavish celebration of Kaia and Nirvan's wedding. While their families eagerly anticipated the union, they harbored their secret doubts and fears, both grappling with their own internal struggles.

Kaia, resplendent in her designer lahenga and adorned with jewels, forced a smile as she gazed at her reflection in the mirror. Beneath the facade of bridal radiance, she was consumed by a sense of apprehension and unease, terrified of being trapped in a loveless marriage and burdening Nirvan with her presence.

Meanwhile, Nirvan, his nerves palpable beneath his polished exterior, stood under the ornate mandap, his hands trembling ever so slightly as he awaited his bride. Despite his privileged upbringing and confident facade, he was plagued by self-doubt and anxiety, unsure if he could live up to the expectations of his prestigious family.

As the ceremony commenced, Nirvan and Kaia exchanged hesitant glances, their forced smiles betraying the inner turmoil each was desperately trying to conceal. With each ritual and vow, their anxiety mounted, the weight of societal expectations bearing down on their fragile shoulders.

As they exchanged garlands and solemn promises, Kaia's heart ached with the knowledge that she was about to enter into a union she was unsure of, fearful of becoming a burden to Nirvan and his esteemed family. Her silent prayers for courage and strength went unanswered as the ceremony continued, each moment driving home the gravity of the decision she was about to make.

Nirvan, too, felt the weight of expectation crushing him. Despite his best efforts to appear composed, his awkward gestures and faltering words betrayed his inner turmoil

As the ceremony reached its climax, Kaia stood before Nirvan, her eyes betraying a silent plea for understanding and compassion. In that moment of vulnerability, Nirvan's facade crumbled, his own fears and insecurities laid bare for all to see. With trembling hands, he reached for the sindoor, the weight of the moment bearing down on him like a heavy burden.

In a moment of shared vulnerability, Kaia and Nirvan exchanged a fleeting glance, a silent acknowledgment of the uncertainty and fear that bound them together. While the pandit recited the mantras they both looked at each other memorising each other

'She is nothing like the girls I have dated. She looks scared, do I look intimidating?'

'He looks intimidating. He would have never have looked at me if I weren't standing here.'

'Yet I can't move my eyes, she looks so innocent like the darkness of the world is yet to reach her'

'His eyes...his eyes are as dark as the ocean at night. There is not even a glint of humility in his features '

'There is not an ounce of dominance in her features. She looks like a defeated war soldier yet the crown fits her perfectly'

'He is here to conquer, it's clearly visible through out his body. He is undoubtedly one of the most handsome man I have ever seen yet I can't ignore the hint of devil in him'

'She looks like a goody two shoes though it feels she is continuously suppressing a rebel. But still here I am in complete awe of her, she is undoubtedly one of most beautiful woman I have laid my eyes on'

With a heavy heart and a sense of resignation, Kaia allowed Arjun to mark her forehead with the sindoor, sealing their union in the eyes of society but not in the depths of their souls.

As they were pronounced husband and wife, amidst the solemnity of the occasion, Kaia's heart was heavy with the realization that she had embarked on a journey fraught with uncertainty and doubt. Hand in hand with Nirvan, she stepped into an uncertain future, her fears and doubts overshadowed by a glimmer of hope that love, however fragile, would eventually find its way into their hearts.
.
.
.
"Tu Thik hai na bhai (Are you alright?)" Ranbir asked Nirvan pulling him aside

"Mujh ko kya hoga (What will happen to me?)" Nirvan answered unmindfully

"Don't you dare lie to me Nirvan...bachpan ka dost hu Tera (I have been your friend since childhood) "

"I am not lying okay?" Nirvan said rudely before abruptly leaving.

Nirvan went to the garden lighting up a cigarette, his mind was clouded with what he had witnessed just moments earlier

/Flashback/

Nirvan's urgent work call forced him to leave the venue when he heard muffled voices from their living room. Nirvan hovered by the doorway, his curiosity piqued by the hushed tones. He knew he shouldn't eavesdrop, but the urgency of the conversation compelled him to linger, hidden from view.

"I think we are done here" Nandini said in her usual authoritative voice. Nirvan peaked to see his mother pass a bundle of cash to Rashmi

"Thank you didi" Rashmi said taking the cash from her

"I don't need your thank you, do us a favour and stay out of Kaia's life"

"Didi aap eshe kyu Bol Rahi hai mein uski mami hu (Why do you say that I am her Aunt)" Rashmi said in a sorry voice

"Save it! I have known you long enough to see through you"

'Long enough? I thought she only got to know them now'

"And if anyone ever finds out about our deal, you will never see the end of it " Nandini warned

"Six years and you still don't trust me" Rashmi said with a smirk

'Six years? What the fuck is going on?'

"Stay away from my daughter in law and my family. I got what I wanted and you got what you wanted so we are done here." Rashmi smirked cunningly "Don't even think about hurting Kaia"

/End of flashback /
.
.
.

"Hey there, gorgeous," a dashing young man greeted Kaia taking the seat next to her. "I'm Aditya. And might I say, you're looking absolutely stunning today."

"Thank you " Kaia answered with a soft smile

"You know, my grandfather and Nirvan's grandfather were like two peas in a pod...if those peas were constantly at each other's throats," he quipped, earning a giggle from Kaia.

"Quality family drama you see" Aditya gushed over his own jokes as Kaia looked at him in awe; he reminded Kaia of her older self who died with her parents six years ago. "But fear not! The drama skipped a generation, and now it's just me and Nirvan caught in the crossfire." Kaia raised an eyebrow

"I know he is your husband but stay with him for a few days and you will see how loco he is plus old. Ahhh! If only I had met you sooner I might have swooped in and saved you from marrying Nirvan," he teased, winking playfully.

Before the conversation could continue a rough cough cut them off. Nirvan towered over them glaring at Aditya "Bhaiyaa (Brother) congratulations on the wedding bhabhi(sister in law) is a te-"

"Get out, I want to talk to my wife"

'Wife?' Kaia's heart beat increased manifolds as she heard Nirvan

"Thank you for saying yes to this marriage" Kaia's lips fell into a flat line as she pretended to smile. After hearing his mother and Rashmi an uneasy feeling settled in his stomach and a weird protective instinct creeped into his heart.