Discombobulated

Discombobulated
(Adj.) emotionally confused or uncertain

As the monsoon rains lashed against the windows of Nirvan's Mumbai home, the pitter-patter seemed to echo the turmoil within him.

Drenched from head to toe, he stepped inside to find his mother, Nandini, waiting for him with a grave expression.

"Finally! Where have you been?"

"I went back to the office"

"You could have come to meet her-"

"It was raining, I couldn't get a cab and by the time I did it was pretty late."

"I don't believe, you couldn't even find a single cab"

"You are right I am sorry" Nirvan momentarily thought of the girl he left the cab for.

"Nirvan, she is perfect for you"she said, her voice tinged with anticipation

"Who?"

"Kaia, the girl I went to meet"

"Oh" Nirvan's heart sank. He had hoped to avoid this conversation for as long as possible. Marriage was the last thing on his mind, especially when his focus was on steering the family company to greater heights. But he knew the weight of tradition and expectation lay heavy upon him

Nandini began extolling the virtues of the prospective bride, listing her accomplishments and her family background. "She is delightful. You will like her I -"

But Nirvan remained unmoved."I only care about one thing, Ma," he interjected, his tone resolute.

"Can she help me build the company, just like you have been doing for all these years?"Nandini's expression softened, understanding dawning in her eyes.

She had poured her heart and soul into the business, grooming Nirvan to one day take the reins. She knew the importance of a partner who shared his vision and dedication.Silence enveloped the room as the rain continued to drum against the windows. In that moment, Nirvan realized the weight of his responsibilities. He couldn't ignore the legacy his mother had built, nor could he disregard his own aspirations

With a deep breath, he looked at his mother, determination flickering in his eyes. "I'll meet her, Ma. But I won't make any promises. My priority is the company, and whoever I marry must understand that."Nandini nodded, a glimmer of pride shining through her gaze. She had raised him to be strong and decisive, just like her.

"I want you to meet her this Saturday" Nirvan nodded lightly
"Yeh sab bohot jaldi ho raha hai na? (All this is happening too fast right?)" Nandini said softly

Without replying to his mother Nirvan lowered his head onto Nandini's lap. "I have never in my life taken a decision without judging everything there is to judge"

"Pata hai, Ma(I know, ma)"

"Toh fir itna pareshan kyu ho? (Then why are you so anxious?)" Nirvan shook his head

"I wanted the best life partner for both of you....it will be nice if one of you married of my choice"

Nirvan's realization deepened as he remembered the repercussions of his brother Naman's marriage without familial consent. Witnessing Naman and his family relegated to a distant part of the mansion, estranged from both the family and the business, Nirvan couldn't shake the feeling of unease. He rather would marry a stranger than loose his family and business.

His mother's remarks only served to underscore the notion that marriage, in their family, was not merely a choice but often a compulsion

"By the way where is your suit?" Nandini asked as Nirvan proceeded towards his room

"I left it somewhere" Nandini narrowed her eyes registering the lie but deciding to remain silent
.
.
.

Kaia sat in her room, her thoughts swirling like a stormy sea. The events of today had shaken her to the core. She not only felt trapped, suffocated by the idea of being tied down in a relationship she never asked for she also felt sorry for the man she will always be a burden to.

Mahesh, sensing her turmoil, entered the room quietly and took a seat beside her. "Kaia, are you alright?" he asked gently, his eyes filled with concern. Her mama had always been there for her , guiding her in her toughest times

Kaia forced a weak smile. "I'm fine. Just... processing everything."

Mahesh sighed, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "You don't have to pretend with me, Kaia. Bachpan se dekh raha hu tumko (I know you since you were little ). I know you're upset about the proposal."

Tears welled up in Kaia's eyes as she nodded. "I just... I don't want to be a burden on anyone and besides I never wanted to get married"

"I understand, Kaia. But sometimes, life has a way of surprising us." Mahesh said nodding sympathetically "Aur kya pata yeh larka tumhare liye Acha ho? (Maybe this guy will be good for you)"

"Mami ne kaha woh koi bara businessman hai(Aunty said he is a successful businessman )"

"Ha toh? (So what?)" Mahesh frowned

"I barely earn ten figures " Kaia lowered her kohl black eyes

"You are a kid Kaia, people your age don't even have a job and marriage is not about money it's about the love and respect you harbour"

"Everything will be alright I promise" Mahesh squeezed Kaia's hand as she gave him a meek smile

Her uncle's expression softened as he spoke. "Kaia, you remind me so much of your mother. She was just as adamant against marriage as you are now. But then she met your father, and everything changed. They fell in love the moment they saw each other"

Kaia chuckled in disbelief. "Love at first sight? That's just a fairy tale, mama. It doesn't happen in real life."

Her uncle chuckled softly. "That's what your mother used to say too, until it happened to her. And if she were here now, she would want you to at least consider meeting this man."

Kaia's heart ached at the mention of her mother. She inhaled sharply as she remembered the night of the accident that changed her life. "But what if I don't deserve that kind of love? What if I end up miserable like so many others?"

Her uncle squeezed her hand reassuringly. "Kaia, you'll never know unless you try. Your mother believed in you, and she left behind something special for you."

Confusion flickered in Kaia's eyes. "What do you mean?

Mahesh pulled out an ornate jewellery box which oddly resembled the box Nandini gave her . He opened it to reveal a collection of exquisite jewelry. "These were your mother's. She wanted you to have them when you were ready."

"Say you'll give love a chance, for your mother's sake. And if it doesn't work out, at least you'll have these to remind you of her love." He said smiling warmly

Kaia nodded, a newfound determination igniting within her. "Okay, uncle. I'll meet him. For mom."

Her uncle enveloped her in a tight embrace, his heart swelling with pride. "That's my girl. I know your mother would be proud of you too."

Kaia knew this was just the beginning and though the path ahead was uncertain, she took solace in the love her parents had left behind for her.

~~~~~