Quatervois

Quatervois
(n.) a crossroads; critical decisions or turning point in one's life

Nirvan drove through the whole city trying to clear his mind, for the first time in his life he was indecisive.

"Hello?! Nirvan?!" Ranbir was surprised to see Nirvan calling him though they were best friends it was usually him who pestered Nirvan.

"Free hai? (Are you free?)"

"Ha...ho kya gya hai? (Yes but what happened)" Ranbir said sensing the distress in Nirvan's voice

"Our usual place in fifteen"

Soon enough both of them were seated in the exclusive bar of one of Nirvan's hotels.

"You are scaring me " Ranbir said

"Aj mein us larki se mila (I met the girl today )" Nirvan said in a small voice as if he was embarrassed

"Kaun (Who?)"

"The one Ma has been talking about"

"And?"

"I don't know if I want to marry her"

"Hain?"

"She was really smart like really really smart, she was saying all these things about our company with so much conviction and and-"

"And?"

"She was gorgeous"

"Toh Karle shaadi (Then get married )" Ranbir smirked

"But but she is also weird"

"Bhai sorry to break it to you, you are also not normal"

"She was weird in a different way, she was confident yet very self conscious. She is outspoken but charmingly mysterious"

"Oh Shakespearean novel problem kya hai? (Stop with the Shakespearean novel I still don't understand the problem)"

"She is the problem"

"You are clearly drunk" Ranbir casually removed the glass from Nirvan's hand

"Kuch zyaada hi perfect thi aur jab woh thi Mujhe aur koi na dekhai de raha tha na shunai de raha tha bas woh hi thi. (She was too perfect, and when she was there I couldn't see or hear anybody else just her)" Nirvan gulped to ease his dry throat.

Ranbir blinked heavily without understanding what to say

"Bhai humse nahi ho payega Mujhe ghar Jana ha(I can't do this, I want to go home)"

"What the fuck? Help chahiye mujhe(I want some help)"

"Exactly!! Go see a fucking shrink" Nirvan rolled his eyes "ok let's be serious for a moment she is beautiful, smart and everything else you said you wanted in a wife so get married"

"But I am attracted to her what if I start wanting more"

"You will be married you can want 'more'" Ranbir said animatedly

"I wanted someone who will take care of our empire with me not someone I am actually attracted to"

"She can do both and if you really don't want anything emotional, maintain a safe distance like you do from everyone "  Ranbir lied through greeted teeth 'I bet my ass he will not be able to stay away from this Kaia girl"  he thought

"You think I should say yes?"

"Of course, you have never mentioned a girl to me before, she is a first. Karle (Do it)"
Nirvan smiled weakly
.
.
.
Kaia sat in her room delicately tracing the jewellery in the box her mama gave her. While rummaging through it, Kaia stumbled upon a faded photograph. In it, four figures stood smiling, their faces illuminated by the warmth of cherished memories. To her astonishment, she recognized her own parents among the youthful quartet, their names etched beneath the image: Nandini, Arnav, Aisha, and Kiaan.

'This can't be Mrs.Malhotra..can it?'
'Were they friends? Is that why she knew me?'

She thought going through her mother's belongings will help her calm down but to her surprise she still found herself thinking about Nirvan.

'I met the man who is supposed to be the perfect groom as mami keeps telling me. She says if I don't get married I will regret for the rest of my life. But to be honest I don't want to get married to him..he wants an employee Mummy not a wife. But I can't help feeling intrigued by him. He reminded me so much of papa he looked strong and scary but he had a gentle demeanour. I felt comfortable with him, even three days ago when I didn't know anything about him. Do minute ke liye khush thi main (For two minutes I was happy) But I am decisive I don't want him in my life. Our meeting can't be fate right?'

Her parents died three days before her 17 birthday. While vacating their mansion she found a beautiful notebook with her name on it and a note
'I know you are struggling we will go through it together. But when you feel you can't tell me something write it here I hope it helps. Happy birthday beta.
                                                                             ~ With love
                                                                                 Mummy'
And since then Kaia writes to her mother everyday.

"Didiii" Kaia instantly shut the notebook as she heard her sister's shrill voice

"Mummy ko unhone call kiya hai!! (Mother got a call from them)"

"Kinse? (From whom)" Kaia answered rudely

"Malhotra aunty se (Mrs.Malhotra)" Shreya said with the same level of excitement

"Aunty nahi ha tumhari (She is not your aunty) " Kaia said leaving her room as Shreya's face dropped

"Of course Mrs.Malhotra just let me know" Rashmi's face had never been brighter, her smile felt too big for her face.

"He liked you, Nirvan Malhotra liked you" Rashmi held Kaia's shoulder and said to her in a demeaning tone.

"But I didn't say I wanted to marry him"

"Yes I did and you are getting married"

"But-"

"Why can't you see me happy? Bachpan se bas taqleef dete ja rahe ho humlogo ko, tumhari studies, tumhari competitions sab kiya ha humne  aur itna Acha rishta aya ha tumhare liye woh bhi nhi chaihe tumko? (You have only given us problems since you were young..your studies, your competition we have done everything and now that you have a good proposal you want to reject that too)"
Kaia couldn't help the tears leaving her eyes

'I am a burden to them, the faster I get married the better '

'He wanted an employee? I will give him an employee an amazing, supportive and hardworking employee. He wanted for me to take care of his company? I will and I promise I will never let myself be a burden on anyone ever again'

~~~~