Business pact

Mingyu inwardly groans at the thought having to wake up early from tomorrow. He doesn't even know how the break whizzed by, and now he has to spend another term, a new academic year at Pledis. He hates it there. And he's going to have to deal with a lot more, the cause being his mother's pointless demands.

Kim Minkyoung. Outwardly it may seem as if she's doing this to ensure an even more successful future for her son, but Mingyu knows she has other motives she won't ever reveal.

During dinner last evening, Minkyoung demanded something Mingyu would never be able to give her. She wants him to date, and make ties, with Lee fucking Chaeyeon. "We're both important families leading the country's economy, Mingyu, and we need our heirs to be just as efficient. And there's no other way Minjun and I could think of. This is a final, mutual decision, and we both would like if Chaeyeon and you could cooperate without any childish fuss."

These exact words have been ringing in Mingyu's ears for the past twenty-four hours. Chaeyeon, as he figured from the way she responded over text last night, is also, gladly, against this entire business pact. She has a girlfriend, for heaven's sake! The fact that Lee Minjun very well knows about his daughter's orientation makes Mingyu want to gag at the insensitivity of these adults.

Having kept silent in the house since yesterday, Mingyu wonders what his mother would ask for further if he finally speaks up, and when it reaches the matter of public announcement. There's no way Mingyu would let that happen -- to himself, or Chaeyeon - who's relationship could be at stake.

Mingyu rolls out of bed a while later. He needs to talk to Chaeyeon before university tomorrow. And so he does, holding the phone to his ear until she picks up. "Mingyu? What's up?" She picks up.

"Hey..."

"Are you thinking about it again?"

Mingyu sighs. "Yeah, it's that disturbing, isn't it?"

"It is."

"What do we do?"

"I really don't know, I've let Hyewon know for now. She doesn't sound happy."

"Of course she won't," Mingyu snorts. "Why would you expect her to accept it just like that?"

"Shut up."

Mingyu can tell Chaeyeon definitely rolled her eyes as she spoke.

"I can't let anything happen to her, Mingyu. You know how these rich parents are." Sighs Chaeyeon. "They will cross all limits just for their profit, and I'm sure as hell Mum would be the first one to remove Hyewon from the way. She doesn't seem too fond of her in the first place."

"You've mentioned."

"Maybe if you could, you know, pretend to be in a relationship as well... I think it should work?" Chaeyeon suggests, and it gets Mingyu thinking. It's not a bad idea, he wonders. Maybe he'd make it seem like a secret relationship he's had all along, and then make a show of revealing it to his mother if she pesters him all the more. Sounds like a fool-proof plan to Mingyu.

Right where he remembers to address the biggest setback. He has no one to fake date. Mingyu doesn't even know anyone his age other than Chaeyeon.

Mingyu snickers. "I'm sorry missy, but did you forget I literally don't talk to anyone other than you?"

"Well, get the fuck out of your shell and talk to someone then?" Chaeyeon snaps back. "But I'm pretty sure you do know some people other than me, you're just too much of a pussy to go and talk."

"You're right about the last part, but I really don't know anyone else."

"What about Jeon Wonwoo? You sure as hell interact with him a bit too much, for you to consider him your rival."

Mingyu freezes. Is Chaeyeon on something? "What the fuck?" He growls. "Are you fucking stupid?"

"Woah, calm down Tiger, it was just a suggestion. But I'm right, aren't I?"

"Did you forget what happened before break?"

"I know Mingyu, but you don't expect someone to hold a grudge for over a month?"

"HE'S BEEN HOLDING A GRUDGE FOR MORE THAN A YEAR JUST BECAUSE OF ONE POINT!" He whisper yells into his phone. "AND SUDDENLY HE'D BE ALL RAINBOWS AND SUNSHINE, AGREEING TO BE IN A FAKE RELATIONSHIP WITH ME?!"

"I'm sorry Mingyu, but since he's the only one you talk to, other than me, he's your best bet."

"Nope. Never. It's not happening. I'd rather get disowned by the Kims than talk to him voluntarily."

"Then I don't have anything else to offer... Wait I have to go, Hyewonnie's calling, I'll talk to you tomorrow. Goodnight."

"Sleep well."

"You too."

Mingyu, in fact, isn't ready to get disowned by the Kims, as he figures while brushing his teeth the next morning. But he isn't ready to talk to Wonwoo either.

Why was Chaeyeon so unnecessarily helpful? Now he's going to end up spending at least a day thinking about her suggestion. Not that he would actually consider it, but the thoughts still linger for the whole time Mingyu does his hair after a shower, and even during the entirety of breakfast. It's his favourite today -- waffles with a generous amount of fruit and suspiciously gourmet whipped cream. Mingyu didn't know even whipped cream could be gourmet, but he likes it anyway.

He takes a leisurely stroll around the exterior just for the sake of it, and partly because his chauffeur is being too slow again. Mingyu's getting late for his classes, but apparently the chauffeur doesn't care.

Mingyu seriously considers biking to Pledis once, and he's sure as hell he'd reach earlier than usual. Unfortunately, he sits in his car, grumbling, and looks out the window for the whole ride.

Chaeyeon's there to greet him with a hug as soon as he enters the building. Mingyu's taken aback, he's never hugged anyone earlier. Chaeyeon giggles evilly as she pulls away, pointing out Mingyu's obvious cluelessness. "Hello to you too, Chaeyeon."

"Hi." She grins.

"So, what happened with Hyewon last night?"

"Is it that obvious?"

"Yes."

And Chaeyeon proceeds to tell Mingyu all the things she talked to her girlfriend about. It's new to Mingyu; he's never talked so much with any of his past friends, not even Soonyoung or Minghao.

"So, how was break?" Asks Chaeyeon, walking next to Mingyu till their classroom.

"Guess." Mingyu rolls his eyes.

"It sure seems like it was terrible."

"Any time I spend in the house is terrible."

"Aww, I wish you had some company in the house, but not siblings. Siblings are annoying twats, older or younger."

"No, but I'd rather not have company in the house. Mother wouldn't like it."

"Why?"

"She doesn't like it when I associate myself with anyone below our supposed 'economic class'."

"That's..." Chaeyeon hesitates to complete the remark.

"Go on, I wouldn't care." Prods Mingyu.

"She seems like a very uh- uptight person, no?"

Mingyu chuckles. "Trust me, she's worse."

"Whoops."