Departure

Needless to say, Mingyu's day passed by horribly, especially after that oppressive interaction with Wonwoo in the morning. Mingyu was seriously taken aback by the attitude of a few professors as well. He couldn't understand what the professors, or anyone for that matter, had to do with his episode yesterday. Treating him like a social retard just because he saw something that disturbed his subconscious self? Life at Pledis couldn't be any worse.

It's Tuesday, another day of clubs. Right now might be the only time Mingyu agrees with his mother, albeit reluctantly. He should not have joined in the first place, it makes his life even more miserable.

Thankfully, Professor Lee doesn't care about Mingyu's incident at all, hence he doesn't subtly jab at him throughout the hour and a half. He continues as if Mingyu were an ordinary student (like the boy wishes to be treated like), and introduces the preparations of a huge show to be presented towards the end of the next academic year. Mingyu can't wait to get started, although this term would mostly be the students getting familiar with each other in order to present a spectacular play.

And so begins the most cringeworthy yet entertaining time Mingyu's ever spent in his life. He never knew the stern-faced Professor Lee could actually be quite chaotic when it came to introducing various activities for everyone to be able to work as a team.

Students were being separated into groups of three, as Professor randomly shouts names from the list to be put together as a trio. Mingyu anticipates his buddies with whom he would work with. "Kim Mingyu, Lee Chaeyeon, Jeon Wonwoo!" Professor announces.

Mingyu groans, loud and clear. He thinks he catches the girl - Chaeyeon - sending a pitiful smile his way when Wonwoo comes up to both of them, a cocky air on his face as he deliberately stands next to Mingyu. "I hope to have fun here." He grins and sticks his hand out for him and Chaeyeon to shake. Mingyu doesn't want to take it, wincing at the fact that he actually touched Jeon Wonwoo's hair yesterday, like Soonyoung had mentioned.

He conveniently ignores Wonwoo's waiting palm. Wonwoo, having expected this, indifferently shoves his hands back into his pockets, turning towards Professor's direction. Mingyu honestly feels bad for Chaeyeon right now -- she shouldn't have to deal with his and Wonwoo's ever-present tension throughout class. She looks really uncomfortable with the glares being exchanged between both of them.

When Wonwoo's attention is focused on Professor, Mingyu leans down and silently whispers in her ear. "There's the group, at the very end right there." Mingyu points, "You could join that one if you want, Professor won't notice. I'm sorry if we're making you uncomfortable."

Chaeyeon smiles at him, bows, and silently leaves, joining the duo Mingyu pointed at.

Now, Mingyu dug his own grave by doing that, since he's stuck with Wonwoo until Professor Lee decides to switch the groups up. "Playing saint, are we?" Wonwoo speaks when she's gone, eyes not having averted from Professor. "She doesn't have to deal with your sorry ass, Jeon. I was just being nice."

The piles of assignments only keep getting bigger and bigger as the year progresses. All of Mingyu's stuff has been shipped and arranged in his room luxuriously. He finally has a bed to sleep on, instead of a fucking mattress which he falls off from three times a night.

Much to his delight, he made friends with Chaeyeon after that day. Mingyu feels like having achieved something huge, now that he has one more friend.

As he found out a while later, Lee Chaeyeon was none other than the daughter of Kim Industries' close partner - Lee Minjun. Mingyu's mother had quite a good relation with the man.

The term end nears, and Mingyu keeps dreading it. You would expect him to dread the examinations, but he's sad for another reason; examinations are the last of his worries. Soonyoung and Minghao have to leave soon, the moment the term ends. Not having interacted outside of Pledis, Mingyu still doesn't want to let go of them just yet.

He won't even be able to meet up as final goodbye, for his mother would allow nothing of that sort, neither does she know of their existence.

On their last day at Pledis, although it's an examination day, Mingyu gets them a few things as parting gifts, and makes them swear none of them would ever change their numbers. Both of them text him the phone numbers they use in their country, as the trio makes a promise of never ghosting each other. "We'll talk whenever possible, okay?" Minghao assures a dejected Mingyu, as the trio exits the building in the afternoon that day. "Yeah."

A week later, Mingyu makes up a brilliant lie to tell his mother, because he wanted to go and see his friends off at the airport. "Chaeyeon and I are meeting up briefly tomorrow, Mother, I hope that's alright." Mingyu says at dinner, a day before Soonyoung and Minghao leave.

"Lee Chaeyeon?"

"Yes Mother."

"Very well, it's a pleasure to hear you finally have the sense to associate with people of our kind."

"Thank you, Mother."

And Mingyu hurriedly finishes his dinner, waits for his mother to follow as well, and sprints off to his room the moment she finishes. "Thank you for the meal, Mother."

He sends texts to both Soonyoung and Minghao, letting them know that he'd be able to see them off, getting enthusiastic replies within the next five minutes. Mingyu can't wait for the sun to rise again.

Mingyu eagerly anticipates the clock to strike twelve in the noon. He'd even set an alarm, and the moment it goes off, Mingyu runs to his walk-in closet and changes quickly. Grumbling, he travels to the second, and the top-most, floor of the mansion, knocks on his mother's office, and informs her of his departure. "I'll be back in an hour or so, Mother."

"That's it."

"I won't be late, Mother."

He'd previously bribed, and succeeded, another chauffeur to remain silent and drop him at the airport -- all while pretending that Mingyu, in fact, had visited the Lees, if his mother happened to notice the chauffeur's absence in the meantime.

On his way, Mingyu calls Chaeyeon briefly, to tell her that he's supposed to be at her place right now. "Make up whatever you want if Mother happens to get nosy, I'll play along." He tells Chaeyeon, and she, thankfully agrees without many questions.

When he reaches, he doesn't wait for his door to be opened, and blends in with the people inside the airport. Soonyoung and Minghao arrive a few minutes later, as Mingyu walks them till Minghao's departure gate, since his flight is set to leave before Soonyoung's. The trio spends a while simply talking, Mingyu suddenly having a lot more to talk about. As an attendant announces the boarding for the flight, Minghao stands with his luggage, bids a final, sad goodbye to Mingyu and Soonyoung, and soon disappears amongst the others travelling with him.

The same follows for Soonyoung, just Mingyu seems more downcast. Soonyoung surprises him with a quick hug just as he's about to board. After whispering 'Goodbye', Mingyu turns and walks back to where he came from.

He badly wants to stay here for some more time, it feels much better than being in the house with the dread of his Mother's constant presence. But he chooses against it, the chauffeur still couldn't be trusted much.

Mingyu doesn't feel like doing much for the remainder of his day, the only movement being his fingertips typing in replies to both Soonyoung and Minghao once they've informed him of their arrival at their destinations.