The Magia

After turning down yet another corner, they came to a dimly lit archway. There was just enough light to see the two large rabbits that guarded the entrance.

With Lock's help, they managed to roll the heavy stone away, letting blinding light pour into the tunnel. Comet had to turn away to shield his eyes.

Struggling to adjust to the light, Comet stumbled into the chamber. Once his eyes adjusted, he saw he was in a large dome-like room. Several rabbits at a table made of hardened dirt and mud. It was lit by strange pin-pricks of light.

Comet stared at the table of rabbits. They were much smaller than the Silver Colony rabbits with large black eyes all staring back at him. They could almost be mistaken for wild rabbits if it wasn't for their various fur colours.

One of them has a large medallion, so he figured that he must be the one in charge. His unreadable expression made Comet more nervous than he already was.

"We're glad you're finally here, my name is Magia Janu and this is the Silver Magia Council." He said, with surprising warmth.

"We appreciate the effort it took to get him here." He continued, looking at Blue and Bone. "Though we did tell you not to attack him."

"Sorry…" Muttered Blue sheepishly.

"The Healer will fix up your nose, Comet, but first, I'm sure you have a lot of questions about why you've been brought here.

He nodded nervously. They knew his name without even giving it to them.

"The valley is divided into six colonies, each one has a respective precious resource. We alone can use the powers of fortune, the power to access the energy and abilities of these resources through our medallions." He explained, indicating to the shiny, silver stone around his neck. "However, the energy of a hare is what gives our medallions their power, and with Orion ageing, our medallions are getting weaker and will eventually lose their power altogether."

"So you want me to stay here, to charge your magic stones?" He asked, completely bewildered.

"They are not just stones, they are precious and have been carved with the symbolic plant of each colony giving them a direct connection to the power of the land. If this power dies the valley would descend into chaos, leaving us vulnerable to dangers from within the valley and beyond it."

Comet was silent for a moment as he took it all in.

"So, I really am a hare?"

"Of course you are, Orion spotted you and brought you to our attention. We've been waiting for months to bring you here. We know it might take a while to adjust to life here, but we promise you, living here offers so much more than you ever had with humans."

"I didn't just live with humans, I lived with Mossy and Stone, they lived in the valley a long time ago, they didn't trust you and seemed to believe you were harming the valley..¦ they wouldn't have thought that for no reason." He said. Trying to look as confident as he could.

Janu didn't seem to be offended and said with a shrug, "They were probably like most of the other traitors, they hate our powers because they don't understand it and don't like that we're trying to unify the valley."

"So after I'm trained, I'll be able to use these powers of fortune or whatever they're called… and then I'll be expected to stay in the valley… forever… and do what?"

"You'd have to undergo the trial and initiation, then your energy will be part of the valley. As long as you don't break our laws, you'll be free to do whatever you want. Every rabbit will give you unconditional respect, loyalty and friendship. You'll never have to worry about being threatened or driven out like you did with your humans. Seems like a pretty good deal, doesn't it?"